Thread: Wax Cleaning

Aside from the solar wax melter technique,
    would anyone like to share how they clean their wax cappings and culls? I always seem to make a mess of it. I've stopped melting down culls because of all the pupa debris.

John R

Yard sale crock pot. OUTSIDE! Nasty stench...

I wouldn't say the stench is nasty, but I would say that its not my favorite smell. Its a sort of strong, but nuetral vegetable smell.

Can you be a little more decriptive?
    I'm looking more for method. I melt mine down on the stove with a hell of a lot of water then skim,and let set but it seems you need to do this 3 times to get it nice and clean.

J.R.

I do mine in the house. I use a large canning pot. I put about 4 inches of water in the bottom and bring it to a boil, then turn it down to medium. I start adding my comb until it is melted. after you add a bunch and have melted it down you will probably have to strain it if brood was in it(thats the icky part). once all the wax has been melted and strained I take it off the stove and let it sit until cold. The wax floats on the water so I just lift up a corner and take it out. You will probably have to scrape the bottom side to get and brown residue off.

Just give in to the solar wax melter... make your own if money is tight. I bought the Mann Lake one, lots of money, but it's been worth it. I let the bees clean the honey off, then put the wax in coffee filters in the solar wax melter. No hassle, no mess, and perfect award-winning wax comes out. I make candles directly from the first pass, while it's still hot.

I also put my metal queen excluders in the wax melter to clean them... once again no hassle and perfectly clean excluders.

And the sunlight is free... and no chance of burning anything down.

Here's a tip. Put the wax in a womans stocking (with the end tied close) before you put it in the water. When it's melted remove the stocking and it's cleaner wax. Unmarried men and unlucky bachelors can buy short stockings for 3 for $1! It's not worth trying to reuse them.

dickm