Hi everyone,

I have finally got some space where i can have bees and would really like to start beekeeping after attending a workshop and speaking to a few keepers around my area.

Unfortunately i think i have missed the boat this year. Am i better to wait until next year or can i get a head start this year somehow.

Im in southern ontario, and our winters are fairly harsh (-40), so i just dont know if my hive would survive given the short winter preparation.

Any suggestions,

Paul.

If you can get a complete hive that's already established they'll probably do fine.
    Nobody ruins my day without my permission, and I refuse to grant it...

Your best answers will come from that workshop and the bks in your area. Coyote's right that a complete hive will make it but anything else can only be answered by someone who knows your climate.

Sorry,

Hawk
    KC0YXI

What part of Ontario??

Here I am told if you get a Nuc going by Aug 1st it will do fine. Provided you feed.

Getting a full hive, if only for the experience, would be great, but costly. Subscribing to the "Get out there and do something, even if it's wrong" principle as I do, I'd go ahead and start up a NUC ASAP but you should be prepared to feed them heavily right through fall. The experience would be worth it.

I'd suggest Carniolan bees because they maintain a smaller winter cluster than other varieties and therefore require less stores.

George-
    Dulcius ex asperis

I agree with George....

Carniolan's will build quickly if nectar or feed is available. They are said to winter well (this will be my first winter).

A nuc should make it ok but you'll need to feed it alot.You might also try and catch a swarm.Yes you'll be way ahead if you can get a hive or nuc and feed and over winter.

if you do start, don't be surprised to do 1 part beehive 2 parts syrup, top of that, theres no saying they'll last.

how about order your stuff today for next year?

unless the flow hasn't started yet [img]smile.gif[/img]
    \"You\'ve got to stop beating up your women because you can\'t find a job, because you didn\'t want to get an education and now you\'re (earning) minimum wage.\"<br /><br />-Bill Cosby

Buy a hive if you can.

"If you're not making mistakes you're not learning anything" (My version of "If you not making mistakes you're not doing anything")
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF