Hybrid View

Question

I'm thinking about putting a beehive in my backyard. I've been planting the yard with plants that are attractive to butterflies and hummingbirds. The anise hyssop is very attractive to hummers, and I also put up a hummingbird feeder. Both hummers and butterflies began to show up with some frequency last summer, along with many bumblebees. I want them to keep coming and I'm wondering if having a backyard beehive will deter them. I would be grateful to hear of the experience of any other backyard beekeepers in this area. Thanks.

I have four to eight hives in my yard at various times and it doesn't deter the bumble bees, butterflies, or the feral honey bees in the neighborhood from coming to my flowers. I never had any hummingbirds around here, so I wouldn't know about them.

My honey bees coexist quite peacefully with the hummingbirds, butterflies and bumble bees in my yard. How I wish that all the other creatures in this world could get along this well!

Hi: Wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth. I'm with Michael on this. 7 hives in back yard coexisting with my hummers and just about anything else you can imagine. Good luck. Go for it, you will enjoy the bees.

Thanks everyone, that alleviates my concerns.

I see you're from the Richmond, VA area so couldn't resist responding. I have found that during a nectar dearth the honeybees will find the hummmingbird feeders and a battle will ensue with the bees mostly winning. Also, holly bushes are very good bee forage during spring in this area along with tulip poplar. You might consider joining the Richmond Beekeepers Association that meets the 2nd Friday of each month to get specific info on this topic.

Thanks for replying, Glenn. I'll look into the association. And I'll keep an eye on the hummingbird feeder.

Glad to hear that hollies are good. The spot I have preliminarily settled on for a hive is under a tulip poplar and right next to 4 hollies, the closest holly being male. That spot gets early morning sun and afternoon shade in the summer, and there's no grass that needs mowing.

Thanks again.

Chip Wright, Ginter Park