I bought a observation hive off of ebay. The quality isnt what I want so Im building my own.
    The hive came with one of those feeders that slip into the entrance of a normal hive.

Is there any trick to refilling this feeder without letting bees out of the hive and into the house when I remove it so I can refill the mason jar?

I always put #8 hardware cloth over the hole the jar goes in. I can't imagine an observation hive that doesn't already have this. You can't be opening the hive up to put a feeder on when it's in the house.

Just lift the jar slightly enough to slide a piece of thin cardboard under it. Add a weight on top of it while refilling the jar.

I guess this brings up another question... Where does the screen go for the vent holes in the hive... On the outside of the observation hive or the inside??

The hive I bought off ebay was homemade and poorly constructed at best so none of this is done. It doesnt even have vent holes but Im putting them in..

I think the screening should go on the outside of the hive. This allows a few bees to actually get in the hole to do the venting, otherwise they have to hang out on or near the screen and try to vent that way.

I've seen it done both ways. The advantage to inside is the bees space is maintained and you don't have any sharp edges of the screen showing. The Brushy Mt. observation hives, have screen on the inside and round aluminum vents (maybe some kind of soffit vent?) on the outside. The Draper just has a slot on the sides (a saw kerf) and the top. This works just as well and doesn't require ANY screen or vents.