Sad

Well something must have happened to my queen at least 21+ days ago. No brood, larvae, etc. This is a 3# package from 4/21/04
    I did see a FEW newly laid eggs as well as the queen - but is she a new queen?? (no i didnt mark the packaged one)
    Didnt see any queen cells, should there still be any leftover tell-tail remains of an emergency/supercedure cells?? I did see some emergency cups (still small though).
    The (only other) hive in this yard is doing real good, already full in the 2nd deep - this is why i noticed something must be wrong with the other hive (only 1 deep full). Anyway i pulled 3 frames of different stages of brood to put into the smaller populated hive.
    I looked back on my journals and see that i was in the hive 26 days ago, this would be enough time for them the raise a queen, her to mate, and just start laying
    i remember that i was in a hurry and i probably did kill her I need to slow down!

how often do all of you check inside your hives to make sure packages are doing ok?
    thanks Deanna

------------------
    "The secret of life is not to do what you like, but to like what you do. God promises a safe landing, not a calm passage."

- Author Unknown -

[This message has been edited by Dee (edited June 20, 2004).]

>I did see a FEW newly laid eggs as well as the queen - but is she a new queen?? (no i didnt mark the packaged one)

If you have new eggs and no brood, most likely it's a new queen.

>Didnt see any queen cells, should there still be any leftover tell-tail remains of an emergency/supercedure cells??

Sometimes the leave them for a while sometimes they tear them down pretty quickly.

>The (only other) hive in this yard is doing real good, already full in the 2nd deep - this is why i noticed something must be wrong with the other hive (only 1 deep full). Anyway i pulled 3 frames of different stages of brood to put into the smaller populated hive.

That should give them a boost.

>I looked back on my journals and see that i was in the hive 26 days ago, this would be enough time for them the raise a queen, her to mate, and just start laying
    i remember that i was in a hurry and i probably did kill her I need to slow down!

Maybe you did. Maybe they did. Who knows?

>how often do all of you check inside your hives to make sure packages are doing ok?
    thanks Deanna

They seem to do better when I leave them alone. So I often don't check them other than making room and adding supers until fall.