Thread: size tolerance

Lightbulb

Hi,

I just cut a few boards to make deeps and nucs and realized at the end that I had cut them 1/8" too sort.
    Before glueing them or throwing them away, could someone tell me how terrible 1/8" short er sides along the long side is, aside from making the frames sit a lot tighter in there. I mean, do the bees really care that much? Also, consider that I am in the process of regressing my bees to 4.9mm cells.

On another "dimensional conundrum", here is another question: in the plans published for a 5-frame nuc in http://www.beesource.com/plans/nuc.htm
    the outside width of the nuc box is indicated as 8.5" while the inside dimensions are indicated to be 7.75" (width). This just does not add up since the boards are 3/4", so 8.5 - 2 times 3/4" is exactly 7" in my books, not 7.75".
    Can someone who has build 5-frame nucs tell me which dimension is the correct ones?
    With a 8.5" external width (thus 7" internal width), 5 frames sit inside the nuc box OK, but with only about 1/16" clearence on each side after packing them tickt in there. I guess a bee would have a hard time squizzing in between the walls of the nuc and the external face of the outermost 2 frames, but may make it.

I hope the explanation of the size problems is clear. Thanks

jorge

"the outside width of the nuc box is indicated as 8.5"

Jorge,
    Where are you seeing 8.5 both nuc
    boxes have 9" outside width.

??

I just measured my 5 frame nucs and they were 9 1/4" outside. They are from Brushy Mt.

The 1/8 short might be problem if you can't get the frames in. IF they fit, It's probably no big deal. But you could also check to see if the space is at least 1/4" from the end bar to the outside wall. That is minimum beespace.

Hi Jorge,

Since you cut the boards for the boxes 1/8 too short add an 1/8 to the bottom board rails (for the nucs). Use hive moving staples to permanently mount the BB's to the nucs. This should fix that problem. I use the type of nucs that betterbee sells.

When I look at the plans I see that the outside width is 9" and the inside should be 8.5" (although the plans say 7.5 which is an error if you do the math).

I'd alter the plans and instead of making a BB, I'd make the hieght at 10.5". Then nail a plywood bottom on it. Out of the 1x12 I used I'd turn the piece I ripped off into the handles.

>When I look at the plans I see that the outside width is 9" and the inside should be 8.5" (although the plans say 7.5 which is an error if you do the math).

Outside = 9"
    minus Two boards = 1.5" (.75 + .75)
    Inside = 7.5"

I never understood that new math.

Pretty sure he's saying the long sides are too short as in the box will be 19 3/4" long instead of 19 7/8" long.

Well there you go, thinking always gets me in trouble.

Oh boy. I used a plan for the 5-frame nuc box that I downloaded a while ago. I saved the PDF and I just printed it. It CLEARLY stipulated 8.5" external width for the 5 frame nuc box. Anyway, it is no big deal, I only cut a few of those.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will see what I can do with this mess.

Jorge

I have made my own 5 frame nucs (and other sizes as well) and you can make them anywhere from 7.875 inside to 7.25 and they will work fine. The comb on the outsides in most 5 frame nucs tends to get a bit thick because the outside space is a bit generous. I think the reason for the design having a bigger space on the outsides is to encourage the bees to build on the outside of the outside frames, since the bees tend to avoid this.

I like four frame nucs. You can put two wide on for supers and also use them as nucs. The outside measurment on a four frame nuc is 8 1/8". (6 5/8 inside).

[This message has been edited by Michael Bush (edited February 23, 2004).]

Sad

Outside = 9"
    minus Two boards = 1.5" (.75 + .75)
    Inside = 7.5"

I never understood that new math:

reply:

oops, now do I feel dumb. I think my brain was frozen........