Thread: I got stung

How about this: every day I go out to look at the bees without a problem; occasionally I lift the outer cover for a peek inside. None of the bees ever seemed to notice or care.

Today I went out to have a look -- just a look! -- and no sooner did I stand beside the hive than bees starting zinging out and pushing me away.

I guess I didn't move fast enough for one of them -- BAM! she got me right between the eyes.

Now I have to wonder what happened there? what made the bees so explosive?

While I think of possible causes I'm going to have to hold this ice cube on my head 'til I get brain freeze. Hate to go to work tomorrow looking like I'm growing a third eye.

>Now I have to wonder what happened there? what made the bees so explosive?

Lots of things can put them in a bad mood. Neighbor kids throwing rocks at the hive. Skunks eating bees at night. A nectar dearth. A lot of rain. Not enough rain. A failing queen. No queen. Usually it's temporary. If they stay in a bad mood I'd look into it further and see if the queen is failing or what else might be happening.

Sometimes they are just having a bad day.

Also you might want to make sure you had the lid on tight. If there was some way to get in and out of the top then they may set some gaurd bees to gaurd the top entrance.

Also they may be fighting off robbers, ants, wax moths or other enemies and are more defensive.

Angry

And one day they will nail you!!!

I did the usual run through of all the possiblities: ~no rocks around the hives, so no kids are after them.
    ~as far as I can tell, no animal marks or footprints near the hives
    ~bees have plenty to eat because I'm feeding them so they'll be ready for winter

As for other possibilities -- I'll keep an eye out for robbing. They sure did a good job chasing me away!

I was lucky to have my digital camera ready last month when they chased a bumblebee out of the hive. If you're interested you can see the photos here: http://blackcatnetworkhelp.net/beebl...es/000022.html

Like honey man said one day they will nail you lol.I use to think i could just look in for just a peek too,and sure enough i got the third eye syndrome too lol.it could be just a dad day, but have found the weather has alot to do with it like humid or distant thunder heads. Who knows what sets them off but some days they are like me just not in the mood for any crap.Good luck with the brain freez

You might try the benadryl . The local guys in the club all use it to avoid a swollen face when they get hit around the eyes. Good luck.

STUNG??? welcome to the world of beekeeping,
    All jokes a side.hot weather has an effect also on them.>>>>MARK

Hey, nice photos. Try some Apis homeopathic 30C for that sting (or the next one).

I put honey on my stings.

I usually don't put anything on them unless they bother me, then I put a poultice of either plantain (bite a little and put it on) tobacco (mix the tobacco with some saliva or if you have some Levi Garret or such you can put a whole pice of leaf on) or an asprin (bite the asprin and wet it with some saliva to get it to stick). What I use depends on which is handy.

I get stung once in awhile,but have a fear of getting stung on the face, more specifically in the eyes. Like you I enjoy watching the bees up close but I always slip a bee veil on before going in close.

Ammonia on the sting does a good job of neutralizing the active ingredients. Learned that working in scout camp as a kid. works on wasp stings as well. follow up with benadryl liquid and a shot of kentucky rye. learned that in camp too.

I leave the stingers in and don't disturb them while they continue to pump the poison in. just preparing for that day they really get upset with me. I know some beekeepers do a buildup of 1,2,3... until they can take 10 stings a day with no reaction. Don't get enough pleasure (sic)out of it to try that.

As it turned out we had a big storm the next day: knocked down a couple trees in the neighbor's yard and filled the bird bath pretty good too.

So bees are
    barometers
    pollinators
    part-time exterminators

They told me there was a lot to learn about beekeeping. Now I see it's true

Daisy said

>I put honey on my stings.

Another variation of "a hair of the dog"?