Does honey weigh more than water? (I'd check this out with a kitchen scale, if I had one.)
    I'm just thinking that when I sold 16 fluid ounces of honey, I was really seling more than a pound, and I should have charged accordingly.

Yes Margot honey does wiegh more than water.Honey is sold by wieght not fluid measure.while i am not sure what the exact ratio is.I think 16 fluid oz.of hone would wiegh about 24 oz. if i am wrong here some one please feel free to tell me.

Sounds about right. I always figured a 12 oz squeeze bottle is about a pound. Of course I just tell the customers it's 12 fluid ounces.

Hi Folks,

If this will help, here is what I have been told. The old addage that "a pint's a pound the whole world 'round" is true for water. Honey on the other hand is heavier than water. The rule of thumb is that honey weighs 1.5 times as much as an equivalent volume of honey. So, a pint (16 fl. oz.) of honey would weigh 1.5 pounds.

Hope this helps,
    Paul

Thanks Paul for the reminder of the pints a pound the world around. That is if you are buying lol.I have allways been told that a 5 gallon jug is a 60, thus honey is about 12 pounds per gallon.oh yea i did have to prove to a friend how much honey is in a pint with the trusty scales. it was very close to 1.5 pounds if filled to the top.

Smile

Here's a handy calculator that can calculate honey-water density.
    http://www.angelfire.com/al/jenab/mustsg.html

I was helping a local beekeeper extract about 1800 pounds (78 medium supers) yesterday. According to this calculator, that's 816,465.6 grams of honey or 575.48 liters.

mmundy Guest

Arrow

I try to remember the weight of a gallon this way:

16 ounces is a pound in the US when talking weight. Well 16 ounces of water also weighs a pound. It takes up 1 pint of space. There are 8 pints in a gallon, so a gallon of water must weigh 8 pounds.

Honey is 1 1/2 times as heavy as water, so 1 gallon of honey weighs 12 pounds.

Quiz: How much does one pint of honey weigh? (A pound and a half)

Am I right? Who's a math wiz around here?

Cool

Greetings . . .

One gallon of honey weighs 11 lbs., 13.2 ounces.
    . . See Beekeeping for Dummies, p16

OR
    One pound of honey = 5/8 pint = 1-1/4 cups =10.832 fl oz.

One pint of honey (16 fl oz) = 1 lb, 7.65 oz

Dave W

[This message has been edited by Dave W (edited July 18, 2003).]