I'm going to let nurse bees raise a new queen from eggs/larvae in a small nuc and recombine later using the newspaper method. Should the nuc be close to the queen-receiving hive while the new queen is being raised and oriented in a particular way or does it make any difference? Thinking here of any potential problems with field bees from the nuc.

Would a robber screen on the nuc be a good idea?

Thanks.

Aloha Borgnik,
    You raise good questions,but you have the means right there with you to find reasurance.
    If you lived here in Hawaii you could count on enough drones to raise a good queen[get her mated ]. But things as they are in the mainland you are better off buying a queen from a good breeder.
    Mahalo
    thebeeman

Actually, I was going to just call up one of those good breeders and order a gueen but I've heard of so many "aggressive" traits being in queens these days from supposedly good breeders that I decided to try my hand at raising a queen. My bees are very gentle and don't have any bad characteristics as far as I can see. If I fail I can always call later and get a queen from a breeder.

Yes some queens produce aggressive hives, but that is rare considering the number of queens these guys produce every year. If you are going to try to raise your own make sure the hive has everything it needs to produce a good queen. Things such as pollen, honey, and a large amount of nursebees should do the trick. Make sure the pollen is close to the queen cell. Good luck.

peggjam
    "I reject your reality, and substitute my own." Adam Savage

Relative to your original question.

>Should the nuc be close to the queen-receiving hive while the new queen is being raised and oriented in a particular way or does it make any difference? <

I don't see that it makes any difference. I raise my queens in nucs wherever I happen to have brood frames that I can remove from stronger colonies. I then use them wherever I need to.

I haaven't had aany problem with robbers in my nucs, but then I have a reduced entrance on all my nucs.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Relative to your original question.

>Should the nuc be close to the queen-receiving hive while the new queen is being raised and oriented in a particular way or does it make any difference? <

I don't see that it makes any difference. I raise my queens in nucs wherever I happen to have brood frames that I can remove from stronger colonies. I then use them wherever I need to.

I haven't had any problem with robbers in my nucs, but then I have a reduced entrance on all my nucs.
    Be Yourself, Everyone Else Is Taken!

Here are what I see as the important issues for getting a good quality queen from a nuc:

1) Lots of pollen and honey. They have to be able to feed the queen well.
    2) A high density of bees. In other words as many as will fit in the box. Shake in lots of young bees (bees clinging to open brood) without getting a queen.
    3) Larvae of the right age available. (larvae that is hatched and the same size or smaller than an egg).

Location isn't really relevant. Robbing won't be a problem if you really pack it with bees.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks. I'll give it a shot after the hurricane leaves.