Thread: full frame

I have had my bees for just under 2 weeks. The weather has been nice, there is a lot of activity around hive... how many frames would one expect to be filled with brood? ((this is a nuc, so I had 4 frames with eggs, larva, honey and nectar)) Also, I have noticed vastly different looking bees, some are VERY big and some are small-- is this for obvious reasons (babies, etc)? Thanks..
    D

>I have had my bees for just under 2 weeks. The weather has been nice, there is a lot of activity around hive... how many frames would one expect to be filled with brood? ((this is a nuc, so I had 4 frames with eggs, larva, honey and nectar))

I would have expected at least two or three frames of brood in a 4 frame nuc when you got it. Probably about the same now, if it's still in a nuc. If it's in a 10 frame box there is probably another frame of brood now but none of the ones layed since you get it have emerged but what was capped when you got it has emerged.

>Also, I have noticed vastly different looking bees, some are VERY big and some are small--

The VERY big ones are drones. If you have different colored ones, it's probably either because they got bees from different sources to top off the nuc with bees, or because the queen has mated with several different drones that were different colors.

>is this for obvious reasons (babies, etc)?

Newly emerged bees are smaller than fully mature foragers, but you have to look closly to notice that on the enlarged bees. The difference is more strking in the small cell bees.