Ok... Since this is my first hive ever, please excuse my ignorance or impatience...

Ive place the feral hive I got sunday in my observation hive. They have been there almost 3 days now and not so much as a speck of comb being made on any of the 5 frames. They are eating the syrup and Im feeding them some of their own honey. They are going in/out like crazy.

Someone suggested that they need to be in the dark to make the comb. I leave both sides of the OBS hive uncovered.

Im concerned that I didnt get or killed the queen but someone also said that they wouldnt hang around if I didnt get her.

Has anyone ever ran into this problem before?? Man Im getting nervous - I dont want this hive to die on me.

I've never tried not keeping it covered. I made a curtain out of a doubled up piece of black cloth doubled over the top of the hive, so there are two layers of black cloth on each side. I only open it when I want to watch. Sometimes you have to cut holes in the cloth where it is on the top to match any air vents.

OK.... Now I think they are psychic... I looked at the hive just before posting the original message. I went to town to get some material to cover the hive with and came back and there they are building comb... not alot right now but its a start.

Thank coyote,

LOLOL...... see I knew they were psychic

bees have been well known to make nests in the open, on branches, cliff hangings, or what ever. The light did not stop them from working.

Ian