Thread: supering

Just spent past couple hours reading some of George Pinks pages on beekeeping. Very good reading for a rookie such as myself. His theory on supering though, goes against what i've been reading here or in books. He seems to prefer adding 3-4 supers on at one time instead of 1 at a time as needed. I quote " research has clearly shown that due to the "hoarding" instinct of the honey bee, the placement of several supers of DRAWN COMB on a colony all at one time results in more honey prduction and less swarming during a nectar flow than adding one super to another as needed". Just wondering opinions on this, and if many do this. steve

It's my understanding that if it's undrawn foundation, you should add it one super at a time, waiting for the bees to draw out eight frames before adding another super. If you're adding drawn comb, you can put all the supers on at the same time.

I add 2 supers to strong hives and 1 to mediocre hives shortly before the honey flow starts, and then add more as needed. The problem with putting 3-4 on right away, in my experience, is that if the honey flow isn't real good the bees will create a "chimney" in which they will fill the middle few frames in each super and leave the outside ones empty; creates extra work for the beekeeper by having to go through all the supers and remove the bees from them.

------------------
    Gregg Stewart

Another one of his points is that the bees need space to spread out the nectar for drying. The more the nectar is spread out the faster it dries. There are less bees fanning the hive and more out collecting, producing even more honey for you.

I think there have been a few studies supporting this. The best known probably being done by the USDA. They reccommend putting on many supers at once. As mentioned earlier they should be drawn out to do this. I have put 3-4 supers on at once now for a couple of years and have not had any problems.

I put usually two per hive to start out with. Usually supering all hives with three, and more if needed. I dont have enough equipment to oversuper. I cant afford to have supers on hives that arent using them. I make sure the supers on are being used, and try to allocate my supers to the hives needing the space.

Ian