I am interested in finding out how I could get some package bees for the upcoming year.

The catch is that I really don't want to pay any shipping charges (nearly doubled the price of bees last year). I would be willing to drive in order to pick these new packages up.

Are there any sources (bee clubs, etc) which get package bees for pickup by individuals somewhere close to East Central Illinois?

Thanks for any help.

I'd look for a local bee club. Usually they either arrange a pickup or they know of one.

Dadant has a branch in Hamilton IL, not sure if that's close or not, though.

How close to Martinsville / Franklin / Greenwood INDIANA, are you located?

A supplier located in Banta, IN will have 3# packages to be picked up in April.

For infor, contact:

BANTA BEE SUPPLIES
    3551 N. Banta Rd.
    Bargersville, IN 46106
    317-422-9191
    Attn: Madonna Musgrave

Mrs Musgrave still operates the "General Store" in Banta, IN. In the "back room" are more bee supplies than some manufactures have in stock. It the only place I know, where you can buy just one sheet of foundation. She is also very helpful w/ advice and knowledge. Give her a call!

------------------
    Dave W . . .

A NewBEE with 1 hive.
    First package installed
    April, 2003.

[This message has been edited by Dave W (edited February 09, 2004).]

Thanks for the replies.

Yes, I thought about Dadant as they are only three hours away. But I have looked all over their web site and couldn't find information on package bees or queens. I assumed that they probably weren't in that business.

I have a friend who got some bees from a local bee club last year but they did not do well - one of them has already died this winter. I didn't really want to go that route.

Bargersville, IN is only 2.5 hrs away from where I am located. I will give them a call and see what they have.

I'm going to have package bees but I'm not sure where you are in relation to me. I couldn't find White Heath on the map. I'm near I-80 and about 50 miles east of Des Moines. It's about two hours from Hamilton