Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The debris problem becomes a non-problem if you leave the sliding boards out, except for the times when you are actually testing. The mites then fall further and the debris does as well. I've thought of throwing a little salt under the hives to kill ants and stuff but haven't done it yet. (My hives sit on 2 cement blocks) This also means the sticky boards are usually clean. I keep mine in a trash barrel on the site to keep them dry. A polish with FGMO and they are ready to go. While I leave the SSBs open all summer, I just bought a lot of nucs from a knowledgeable guy in upper NY State that leaves them open all winter! I'm going to try that on half of mine this winter. They couldn't die any more thoroughly than they did last year.

Dickm

Anyone run into any issues with the hive debris falling below the screen and becoming a haven for small hive beetle?

does anyone have any pictures of there screened bottom board? If the bottom of the hive is completely open won't the hive be too cold during fall and spring nights?

May seem like a silly question but after 3 years of keeping bees in the philippines I am having to learn a few things about beekeeping in the damp and cold pacific northwest.

Thanks!

I use the plastic corrigated bottom that sides into the bottom of the sbb, in the winter. Some of the older beekeepers around here (NC) don't cover the screen at all.

SBB are good,but they have problems I have had ant have tried cinnamon,borrax ,wax paper with oil on it,,the ants made house under the paper,I tried duck dape they chew it,I still have ants they are small black ones today I pulled the back block out to check the bottom tray and bees started flying out. I have seen this on one of my other hives,, the only thing I can figure is that the screens have a couple of spots the bees can get through but can't find the way back, but I still think the screens are worth getting I think the good outway the bad. good luck

Try loose tobacco under the board. Top or Bugler are the cheapest. Ants will not stay with that there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12