Question

I'm putting together some screened bottom boards and wondered if it's too early to replace them. It's mid-winter with typical cold days here in Central Ohio.

Is this an activity best done when it's warm and the bees are flying?

I've read and learned alot about SBB's...now I'm anxious to get them on my colonies.

Thanks
    Burt in Central Ohio
    Burt in Central Ohio

I never mess with the bees if they aren't flying. I would wait for a day they are flying. SBB are nice, but not nice enough to disturb a winter cluster over.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Burt: Totally agree with Michael. Leave the bees alone until you open your hive this spring and do the swapout them.

Don't mean to hijack the topic but I had an idea on SBB. My bottom boards are thin plywood mounted on a frame for a 18" stand. That is, my bottom boards are a part of the stand itself. Now I could either take a jigsaw and cut the bottom out leaving about an inch all around and tack/nail a screen over it. Or, I could raise the boxes somehow and install a SBB between the lower brood box and my existing bottom board/stand? Any ideas on whether either of these methods would work?

Sure. I'd just cut it out and put in a #8 screen. If you want ideas of how to make a board between, several companies make those. You could look at one of them. I have a couple of different kinds I bought just to look at how they did it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for the replies. I figured waiting til warmer weather was the right call. Nice to get some confirmation.

Regarding the SBB question from OldScout...I just cut out a section from the bottem board itself, leaving about an inch all the way around. Stapled the screen on and will use this on a stand that the hives sit on...about a foot off the ground.

Thanks again for the responses.

Burt in Central Ohio
    Burt in Central Ohio