I read the forum everyday and value your opinions, so...here's my question. My husband and I have recently been invited to travel with some friends to Florida on April 9th. We are scheduled to pick up our package bees on April 3 (my first, by the way!) Will it be okay to leave the bees for a week? I know they are quite capable of taking care of themselves, but, for me, it's like leaving my new babies alone for a week. What do you think?

------------------

Put a queen excluder on the bottom board and the box on top of that. That way it acts as a queen "includer". So the queen can't leave and they can't abscond. Fill their feeder before you go and they will be there when you get back. Worst case, if you are starting several hives, is one of them abondons the queen and moves into a different hive.

Thanks, Michael. I'm only starting two hives, so hopefully that won't be a problem.

------------------

I would just make sure to leave them with a full feeder (a gallon or more). Even if flowers are blooming they don't have the advantage of stored honey should the weather be poor, and it's always a good jump start for packages anyways.

-Tim