Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

some of the honey Ive extracted so far

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Scot Mc Pherson 
#1 ·
Click on the link below for pictures of a small amount of honey I have gotten so far. I put some of the comb in a 8 x 14 baking dish and set the oven to about 170 degrees until the wax melted really good then I set it out and let the wax harden but still warm. I then remove some wax out of a corner and poured the honey through a strainer and through a pair of pantyhose(unused of course) then I poured it into jars. I am expecting about 5 -10 times this amount of honey.
http://oregonsparkie.tripod.com/

#4 ·
Since this was a feral hive the honey is mixed with the larvae. If I crush the comb, I kinda concerned about getting bee goo(shwished bees and larvae) in with the honey. This is why I have heated it up.

Any better solutions??

#5 ·
>Since this was a feral hive the honey is mixed with the larvae. If I crush the comb, I kinda concerned about getting bee goo(shwished bees and larvae) in with the honey. This is why I have heated it up.
Any better solutions??

So you cooked the larvae with the honey? I'm confused. I cut out all the brood and crush the honey.

#6 ·
OOOPPPss.... am I bad or what... heheheh... didnt know better... thanks MB

Guess I thought that cooking them was better than squishing them....

[This message has been edited by oregonsparkie (edited May 25, 2004).]

#8 ·
Don't sweat it, Sparkie. In some parts of the world the larvae and pollen are considered delicacies.

Personally, I let the bees have comb with larvae and pollen and confine my robbery to honecomb only. The bees strain it out much better than I.

By the way; I surmise that you have no children in your household. That 5-frame observation hive would stand about ten minutes at my house. Nice Job; it looks like furniture. '
Ox

#11 ·
I often lay comb trimmings on the landing board for the bees to clean out before I take it away. I have observed them tearing it down, sometimes dragging tiny peices into the hive, sometime flying off with it to who knows where.

They will clean it out, that's for sure...Whether they use the wax or not, I guess that depends on how badly they need wax?!?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.