Cool

Click on the link below for pictures of a small amount of honey I have gotten so far. I put some of the comb in a 8 x 14 baking dish and set the oven to about 170 degrees until the wax melted really good then I set it out and let the wax harden but still warm. I then remove some wax out of a corner and poured the honey through a strainer and through a pair of pantyhose(unused of course) then I poured it into jars. I am expecting about 5 -10 times this amount of honey.
    http://oregonsparkie.tripod.com/

It will taste much better if you crush and strain it cold first. Then if you want melt the remaining comb and keep that honey separate. You'll be amazed at the difference in taste.

Great pics of your observation hive!

Since this was a feral hive the honey is mixed with the larvae. If I crush the comb, I kinda concerned about getting bee goo(shwished bees and larvae) in with the honey. This is why I have heated it up.

Any better solutions??

>Since this was a feral hive the honey is mixed with the larvae. If I crush the comb, I kinda concerned about getting bee goo(shwished bees and larvae) in with the honey. This is why I have heated it up.
    Any better solutions??

So you cooked the larvae with the honey? I'm confused. I cut out all the brood and crush the honey.

OOOPPPss.... am I bad or what... heheheh... didnt know better... thanks MB

Guess I thought that cooking them was better than squishing them....

[This message has been edited by oregonsparkie (edited May 25, 2004).]

Just tell your friends its high protein honey.

Don't sweat it, Sparkie. In some parts of the world the larvae and pollen are considered delicacies.

Personally, I let the bees have comb with larvae and pollen and confine my robbery to honecomb only. The bees strain it out much better than I.

By the way; I surmise that you have no children in your household. That 5-frame observation hive would stand about ten minutes at my house. Nice Job; it looks like furniture. '
    Ox

If I put some of the old comb outside will they eat/reuse it on my new hive??

I have never observed them hauling comb. Sometimes they reuse it if it's in the hive. But usually not.

I often lay comb trimmings on the landing board for the bees to clean out before I take it away. I have observed them tearing it down, sometimes dragging tiny peices into the hive, sometime flying off with it to who knows where.

They will clean it out, that's for sure...Whether they use the wax or not, I guess that depends on how badly they need wax?!?