kookaburra Guest

Hi
    Winter is here in MI finally. Well, sortof. The usual.
    After a very cold week we had a bit of a warm spell, maybe in the 30s or 40's(don't have an outdoor thermometer!) so I thought that I'd just crack the top cover to see what they'd done with the sugar I'd put there.

Well, the cluster seemed to be right up against top cover, there were bees clinging to the telescoping cover right over the hole in the inner cover, looked like they were right up top.

Does this mean they could be low on stores? I didn't check anything else, but I was under the impression that when they clusterd, they started at the bottom and worked their way up. Or could they be trying mess with the circulation in some way?

I think they're ok but I was just curious in case anybody feels like answering.

Thanks,
    Rick

Round Top, New York - Northern Catskill Mtns.

If I found a cluster up against the inner cover as you described at this time. I would feed them.
    They most likely have gone through most of their stores that they will be able to use.
    They do not usually move down at this time looking for food.
    If you have an empty box place it above the inner cover and feed granular sugar.

What he said.

id guess its like about every other colony in the state.....bottom box is empty. id try to tilt on the front and then back of the hive and see if you think its got any stores. just cuz they are at the top is a far cry from them being on the verge of starving.

Wineman is right, it would be worth hefting the hive to see how empty it is. Some sugar on the inner cover with another box to cover that sugar won't hurt either.