Sad

I just put a 2 gallon plastic feeder on my top inner cover this morning (I just unloaded a package of bees) and it looks like it just glugged through the hive. Do I need to do something to try to fix this situation (besides a different feeding method and get more food on asap?). Should I try to clean this up somehow? I'm just hoping I didn't drown the whole lot.

I'd worry most about not sending any more syrup through the hive. You will probably lose a lot of bees. Most critical is did you drown the queen? You may want to give them a day to clean up and then go looking. Also you can look on the ground in front of the hive for her. And, yes, I'd try to figure out a way to feed them without drowning them. Did you do something wrong or is the feeder defective? I assume it was one of the pails upside down on the inner cover? Whatever you decide to do, test it to make sure you don't have another disaster.

I've done this; maybe I was lucky but it didn't seem to do much harm. Don't despair; the syrup would drain through pretty quickly, and if the queen got inundated they'd get to work cleaning her up pretty quick, so with any luck she'll be OK.

If your using the plastic pail feeder with a mesh opening in the center, make sure the lid is on. It should actually snap on and you will probable break/bend a nail in getting it back off. Some feeders seem to need a hammer to get them on. I always have to check twice to make sure its on.

I have not had alot of luck feeding thin surip with a feeder pail, it does not seem to hold the thin surip the same as the thick surip. Many beekeepers use them for spring feeding. You get more use out of the feeder this way. Check to make sure your sealed correctly.
    I use frame feeders. They do the job nicely

Ian

Cool

I like the baggie feeder's this time of the year. no mess

Thank you for the help. I did try to test it prior to putting it on the hive. When I first turned it over, it did seem to leak - I gave it a good "whack", heard a pop and the oozing seemed to stop, so I assumed I had gotten a good seal (apparently not, or it shifted as I was working around the hive). I think I'll try out the baggie or mason jar deal and see how that goes for now until I can figure out what is going on with my gallon pail feeder. I have to go take out the queen cage tomorrow, so I'll check on her then. I moved her away from the inner cover hole because I had heard how the gallon feeders can be unpredictabe, so hopefully she's well in tact. I'll let you know if I can find her tomorrow. I did not see a plethera of dead bees on the ground or notice the queen specifically laid out there. Knock wood, hopefully they're all fine and FULL from a good 'ol guzzle fest!