Thread: Getting Started

Question

I live in Orange County Texas located in lower southeast Texas. I do not have bees, but I want to get started. I have not been able to locate any beekeepers in my area to visit with prior to making the plunge. I have read two books and I understand the mechanics of getting started but I do not know the basics such as can I start a hive now (early April) or is there a better time of the year. After a hive is started and gets strong can you collect honey more than one time per year? Do the hives live through the winter in our rather temperate climate or do you start over every year? These are some of the questions I would like to discuss with someone. If anyone can she some light let me know.

Thanks

------------------

Hi,

Yes you can start now. In Texas probably earlier.

>After a hive is started and gets strong can >you collect honey more than one time per >year?

Depends how you harvest. Some beekeepers harvest all at once. Some bekeepers harvest as the honey is ready, taking it throughout the season. That part is up to the individual and the equipment one has. You need lots if just once. Less if you harvest when ready as the extracted supers can be filled again.

>Do the hives live through the winter in our >rather temperate climate or do you start >over every year?

Yes they live. You must leave them with enough honey and pollen. And be free of disease and mites.

Ask your questions!

Clay- NY state

Cool

I live in Ft. Worth in North Central Texas and I started a hive about a week ago. I bought my bees from BWeaver(maybe BeeWeaver) and they are located in Navasota near Houston. They shipped my bees in the mail through the postal service. I am anxiously awaiting next week to roll around so that I can make sure my queen is laying eggs. Good luck to ya.

Chris

Default Re: Getting Started

I live in orange and i am wanting to start keeping some bees if you know any place to get a couple of hives would you let me know. My email is necheasbreeze@hotmail.com

Thank's

PM Kingfisher on this site.

Kingfisher would be good, what happened to him? Someone on old post was selling whole hives in for sale section. Go there and search old posts and do some contacting.