Thread: Stapling SBBs

Angry

Hey all,

Bees are doing fine at the end of their first summer. Mites don;t seem to be problem either. I am only seeing 5-6 every 24 hours on my sticky board.

What I am also finding on my sticky board was dead bees!! They got caught in the cooking spray and died. I had to open up the hive and among other things, investigate why this was happening. It turned out that I didn't thoroughly staple the screen in place. There was 1-2 ridges where the bees were getting through. I took my staple gun and fixed the problem. Needless to say, the girls were NOT happy.

So boys and girls, remember to take care in stapling your SBB before setting up the hive....

Otherwise, Brood chamber looking good, lots of pollen stores, and food chamber jam freakin' packed with honey. I put on an extra super and they have drawn the middle 3-4 frames. Want to make sure they have plenty of stores for the winter...

Bees are bringing back the most orange pollen you ever saw. Must be the goldenrod?
    Pretty....

Bye for now.

ZEEBEE

Sorry about your bees........

I use a thin layer of vapo rub on poster board on the bottom floor.

What makes you think the cooking spray killed some bees?

From my experience if you spray the cooking spray on the bees it will suffocate them. But if they walk through it it does not harm.

Of course bees die all the time and fall on the bottom board. That doesn't mean it killed them.

Thanks. It seems that they work their way under the screen to get at the pollen and nectar on the stickyboard underneath the screen. They either can't get back in and die or the get too covered with oil. Mr Bush says no about the oil so I guess they get exhausted and die.

Anyway, I checked the board after I stapled the SBB better and NO bees! So I'm happy.

Bottom chamber full of brood and food chamber jam freakin' packed with honey.
    Can't wait to harvest next year.

Thanks again.

If the get in they probably worry them selves to death. Is that a Southerism? I don't remember hearing the yankees around here say "worry" in that context. In other words they worked themselves to death trying to get out.

BILLY BOB Guest

Yep Michael,

Being from the south. When I read "worry them selves to death" it seemed a natural thing, to say. Nobody works them selves to death, most of us are too lazy.

BB

With my Dad's side all Okies and I lived there for a while I have a lot of Southernisms. like "since heck was a pup" or "may as well, can't dance and it's too wet to plow." Things like "worsh rag" and "Tar Nay Doe" and "cyclone" and "coal oil" sound normal to me, but people look at me funny sometimes when I say such things.

I'm kinda lookin' funny at you guys right now....

I'm a city boy recently displaced to southern Maryland. Farmin' IS growing on me though. No pun intended.

Mike

(You talkin' to me?}

------------------