Thread: Free swarm

Exclamation

OK, I think I have a swarm building from that hive in the wall. So far, it seems to b a ball of bees about 2 feet down from the entrance, thats about 5 inches across. There is about a 4 foot square area of the wall thats covered in bees. If this is a swarm, and someone wants them, please let me know. Or, if someone wants to come out and take a look, please let me know. I am in belding, about 30 miles north east of Grand Rapids MI.

I am not absolutly sure its a swarm, it could be something else. The bees are also making a bit of a humming sound that I don't remember coming from over there before. Any advice, or help, would be apreciated. If you want the swarm, email me and let me know, you can come and get them today if you want.
    My email is Michael_grodeman@charter.net

Thanks.

dtwilliamson Guest

Somebody in Michigan help this poor guy out!!!! He wants to bee a beekeeper so bad! He just needs a little help!

Ok, I have swarm, its a cluster about 5 inches across, and 12 down, I think. Lots of leaves in the way. If someone wants it, let me know.

If you can't get anyone to come help, you can see if you can get them to move into a box.

Any old wooden box will do better than nothing. Or just put a 2" hole in the side of a styrofoam cooler, spray the inside a little with Lemon Pledge and duct tape the lid on. Set it next to the swarm and I'll bet it's likely they will move right in. You can figure out how to tranfer them later, but at least you will be beehaver. It's the first step to becoming a beekeeper.

I am afraid to try and move them into a box. I have no idea what to do with them. No protective clothing at all. I can get a hive body, I managed to find someone who was a bee keeper, untell last year. Thay have tones of hive parts laying around. Also a full extraction setup, and wax rendering setup. Thay could not lift the parts any more, just to heavy for them. She really liked bee keeping, and I sudjested maybe she try a TBH setup. She also is going to try and see if she can find someone localy that might want this swarm before it goes away. I would catch them myself, but, what would I do with them untell I could get down to Dadants and get proper protective gear, and get my hive built?

My suggestion was to take a styrofoam cooler and spray some lemon pledge in it and cut a 2" hole in the the end and put it near the swarm and see what THEY do. There's at least a 50/50 chance they will move in. A swarm in a box is worth ten in the trees.

Cooler, and pledge will be done soon as I get home from work tomarrow. Will put it as close to the hive as I can.