i have been catching swarms for 4years now and this is the first time that the bees built there comb under the top cover. i have been dumping them into a deep with new foundation then putting on the top cover. but this time i added a deep on top of the bottom deep with out anything in it.the bottom has ten new frames with foundation in it. i did this last week, i did two swarms this way,thinking that so many bees would not be flying around by haveing the top box on like that. i went to check on them this morning and both hives have built the comb on the top cover. it was so heavy i couldn't hardly pick it up. how do i get them to move down to the bottom box? this is the first time it's hapened to me. give some advise.

>but this time i added a deep on top of the bottom deep with out anything in it.the bottom has ten new frames with foundation in it.

They will almost always hang from the highest point (in this case the inner cover of the top box) and they almost always prefer to build their own comb rather than any foundation.

Basically they prefer, in this order:

Self made comb.
    Wax foundation.
    Wax coated plastic foundation.
    Plastic foundation.

So if you give them any room to do it they will build their own instead of your foundation.

>i went to check on them this morning and both hives have built the comb on the top cover. it was so heavy i couldn't hardly pick it up. how do i get them to move down to the bottom box?

Remove the top box. The sooner the better. If it's a lot of comb and you wish, you can cut the brood out and tie it into frames and put that in the bottom box. Scrap the honey, it's too heavy to tie into a frame.
    http://www.kohala.net/bees/capture/tying.html

>this is the first time it's hapened to me. give some advise.

It's because it's te first time you gave them the room.

Smile

thanks for the reply. i'll do as you said.

Definately try to save that comb and give it right back to them if you can. The last time I "took away" the first comb that a swarm had built in the wrong place, it was totally FULL of eggs. a sad waste of effort on the bees part... all that wax, all those eggs, and they had to start afresh.