I have three of my hives that I have noticed are bringing lava out of the hive and dumping them on the ground, some are still moving. Any thoughts on this?
    Thank you
    Nathaniel

[This message has been edited by Nathaniel (edited May 13, 2004).]

SHB larva or wax moth larva?
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

One aspect of hygenic behaviour is for the bees to cull out infected larva that are not "right", deformed from infection or disease or with varroa. Chilled brood is also culled out of the hive.

Also SHB and Wax moth larvae...

These must be Hawaiaan bees bringing out lava.....

I've seen this after manipulating the hive when brood (typically) drone was damaged or had fallen out of a broken cell.

I was hoping to see it here awhile back, Broke a piece of foundation, so I laid it on top of the frames in an empty shallow thinking they would take everything out. Yeah right, why be so inefficient? They simply attached it to the frames and started building more comb; it was a mess.

Please accept my apology for not getting back sooner but my life has been hectic as of late. These are definitely honeybee Lava, on some of them the legs have developed.

These bees are bulk bees out of South Georgia, and there seems to be four different types, one having an orangeish look and a larger bee(three of the hives),1 hive being a real small dark bee, almost black (open the Lid on this hive and they will come out and say hello, never have been stung but they boil out like they are going to sting you).The entrance on all these boxes are really clean and the inside is also clean but they have a tendency to put extra cone in places it shouldn't be(had breakfast with it this morning, the only honey I have gotten off my Langstroft hives, but have got three bars of honey off my top bar hives which I built 1 and 1/2 months later).
    Nathaniel

------------------
    Old, forgetful and a slow learner

Greetings,

Bees will remove larva for a variety of reasons. If just a few larva/day are being removed, the bees could be cleaning the broodnest of damaged brood, mites, etc.

Bees will also remove larva if they are starving, especially for pollen.

Regards
    Dennis

I had a couple of hives also bring out larva but it was because they got chilled. Right at the 3 week mark after hiving them we had a chilly snap and it got down in the thirtys at night.....well i figured that they were at the lowest population since hiving due to no new brood emerging that they could not keep them all warm....I lost about 2 frames of brood from 2 three hives.....set them back a little but they are bouncing back....

I now have a little better handle on things, because I did a real thorough inspection of all hives. All these hives have at least two solid frames of brood and some have four solid bars of brood. The only brood that I could find that was uncapped was drone brood and very few of them. It has only been one, or three a day, but with me being so new to bee keeping, I did not know what to make of it, but I do believe it is a hygienic thing. With all the bad things, I had to get one good thing, sooner or later .
    thank you so much
    Nathaniel