East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

i was given a dadant small hand crank, stainless steel extractor. It has a gate drain at the bottom. Do you fill it up with as many frames as it will hold. after extracting, do you just strain the honey with a cheese cloth before bottling it.

noooooooooooooooooooo!

Don't use cheesecloth...it will put lint in your honey which is unattractive and will cause it to crystallize. Use nylon.

I use a new paint strainer to strain my honey and my beeswax--works like a charm.

I have the double basket strainers. I also have some double buckets set up with just nylon window screen. I don't like to filter it too close. I like pollen in my honey. The small peices of wax that get through the screen will all float to the top and can be skimmed out and there won't be much of them anyway.

It runs through the screen much faster too.

I just use regular screen wire that was mentioned previously. If you filter the honey too much, you take all of the 'good' stuff out of it. If you sell your honey to Health Food Stores, they won't buy it if it is filtered heavily. Bits of propolis and pollen are the ingredients that are helpful for people with allergies.

Lightbulb

I don't think anybody answered the question of how many frames to put in.

You should put in all the frames the extractor is DESIGNED to hold, and if that isn't possible, then you have to make sure that whjat you DO put in is "balanced or the extractor will walk all over, like an unbalnced load of clothes in a washing macine.

No mention of whether this a radial or a basket model.

A "small" extractor could be designed to hold anywhere from 2 to 6 frames, maybe a little more.

We would need more info before we could tell you how many it would hold.

------------------
    It's Not The Destination, It's The Journey. We Cannot Change The Wind, But We CAN Trim The Sails.

For me... I just use a new pair of nylons. they stretch, they are cheap, and they are easy to cleanup and are reusable

Yes, and also try to balance heavy frames (with more honey or plastic foundation) with heavy ones on the opposite side, and light ones with light ones on the opposite side.

Sparkie;
    You make sure them nylons is new, now you hear?

Beekeepers have been using cheesecloth to strain honey for a century. Be sure to wash it first, which will get the loose lint. The nylon paint strainers are better, and Kelley sells nylon bags made for straining honey.

I like the idea of using nylon screening, too, but I prefer my honey a bit finer than that. Maybe not so fine as thru a pair of nylon stockings though.

Ox

Michael, what do you mean by 'you use double buckets'? Just stacked up or connected... is this something that you made or bought.

Hey OX,

Nylons work great for straining but they are alittle stick to wear afterwards though(only if you have the legs for them)

EastTexas, I have a tagential extractor. I works with 6 shallow frames or 3 medium or deep frames. I have the directions from Mann Lake and will scan them for you if you have a similar extractor.
    James

East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

I have 2-extractors. one i bought from a older retired beekeeper back in the late '80's. it is a rather large drum, with a gate valve, and the basket looks like the frames would fit on there ends. i never measured it, but i think it is probably 30 inches in diameter. the metal is a grey color peuter metal, with a stainless basket. it has a hand crank that turns the baket in both directions, and has a gate valve. the second extractor is a dadant stainless steel that is possibly 14-16inches in diameter. it doesn't have a model, i looked. it works the same as the first one.