Thread: Money in Honey

I have been selling my honey for $5.00 a pint. I haven't really been trying to sell it yet, as I am extracting again in two weeks. I sold a couple of jars to an aquaintence and word of mouth did the rest. I have sold all but 4 jars of the first harvest, and my question is, what is everyone else selling theirs for? I am thinking I am selling it too low since it went so fast.

Sold all my honey at $5 for a 1 lb jar, and I'm thinking $8 for a 2 lb

here's my prices for this year, what do you all think...

8oz glass - $3
    12oz glass - $4
    1lb plastic - $5
    2lbs glass - $8
    2 1/2lbs plastic - $9
    5lbs glass - $16
    2 gallons - $72
    4oz bee-o-pac comb - $3 (if i get any )

i know i have alot of sizes but i was given some jars so what the heck i might as well use them
    last year i only had 12oz, 2lb and 5lb jars/bears

if you think im selling too low PLEASE let me know i want the market to go up not down!
    we all work hard and we should get top price...did you read the article in Aug. 2004 Bee Culture page 32 >>>quote>>> "Dont be afraid to charge what your product is worth"

It seems to vary alot how much the maket will bear in different areas.Here it what i sell for.
    12oz bears $2.50
    pints & 24oz bears$4.75
    quarts $9.00
    12 to 14oz cut comb $5.00

I have seen simaler prices around this area.
    another thing is the packageing.It seem here most people have allway bought honey in mason jars.It is tuff to get them taled into getting the 24oz bear this is why i have both.It is all in what people are use to seeing in your area.It pays to check this out.
    Bob

Cool

I sold all I had for $6.00 a pint. I never sell any honey for less than $4.00 a pound.

Fresh local honey just sells good, no matter. If you're in the range.

I've been selling 1 lb jars for $5.00. The local health food place wants 5-6 cases (24 per case). I'm not sure how much to discount for bulk. Any ideas?

We control the price of honey as much as the consumer does. I will not sell honey cheaper than other local beekeepers. It only drives the price down.

$6/pint, $11/quart. Dollar a jar discount for case price (stores or retail from house, no difference). Sold 36 gallons in less than a month. Only one old timer complained. Sold all of my fall harvest last year at same price before Xmas. I would consider lower prices for stores that move a lot as I produce more. It is a premium unique product with medicinal value to some.

While I try to refer customers back to stores some people have contacted me directly to buy in bulk. Suggestion, leave your address and phone number on every jar of honey you sell.

Some people want to buy bulk in gallons, thinking it will get them a better price. This does not serve me well. Not yet, maybe someday.

Big repeat customers get to sample or take home some mead.

If you do not make much honey and you sell out then you are selling too cheap.

Price higher than prices listed in bee magazines for sure.

------------------
    Joe Miller
    nursebee@juno.com

Looks like i may be a bit cheap but may be not here.I do need to check a bit more in the area.It does look like a price increace is in order for me tho. Thanks to all
    Bob

Here's my prices:

8 oz. bear = $2
    24 oz. bear = $4
    5 lb. jug = $10
    1 gallon pail = $20

------------------
    Gregg Stewart