Thread: Add a super?

Greetings - I'm a first year bee keeper and I've been reading and learning a lot from the posts on this site.

My hive was started late due to the Ohio weather and my bees are only now building out the last of the frames in the second brood box.

My question is this: Will there be enough honey in the brood boxes or should I add a honey super so the bees can store honey for the winter?

>Will there be enough honey in the brood boxes or should I add a honey super so the bees can store honey for the winter?

Two deeps full of brood and honey is enough for the winter. Adding an empty super above will not help them except to give them room to dry nectar they collect between now and winter. They would then have to move it down into the brood boxes if they have room or you could collect the surplus.

Super is short for surplus.

Adding a super at this time is ok if they have the broods nearly drawn. It will give them something to do (drawing comb)and perhaps with a good fall flow you might get some honey for youself or to feed them next spring if they need it.

I don't mean to be picky, but super is actually short for superfluous. But superfluous is actually a synonym for surplus, so I guess it is a mute point.

Actually it's Latin and isn't short for anything. It means above.

This is getting a little off topic, so I opened a new thread in the tailgater forum to continue this discussion on where "super" originated.

Bee-Bri
    Where are you in Ohio?If you have 2 deeps full of brood and honey put a super on for honey the golden rod will be blooming soon.Here in N.W. Ohio the golden rod if a major flow.If nuthing else you can get some comb drawn for next year.

Bob