Question

Hi List member,

Here is a question that I wanted to know for long time.

Why Beehouses are generally made of wood..Cant't we try different materials like Sheet Metal or build it with PVC Boxes at home. I think that will be easy to do.

Waiting for your comments

Sandeep from India
    SUN - Society for the Underprivileged<br /><br />Working for people who need our attention the most but get it the least

The boxes can be made of any material that satisfies certain parameters.

1. Cheap
    2. Durable
    3. Heat insulator (doesn't conduct heat very well)
    4. Light weight so its easy to move.
    5. Solid material as in not a lot of holes for pests to crawl into.

Colonies are kept world wide in hives made of sticks, cork, boards, woven straw, mud/clay, hollow logs, and polystyrene.

Metal is a poor choice to construct hives. Its usually expensive, difficult to machine, a heat conductor, etc.

Fusion

Has anyone used those polystyrene hives before?just wondering if there any good.

Ks.bee.kpr,Check out this site htt://mkat.iwf.de/index.asp?Signatu=c%209779 Type Queen Rearing Terry

Sorry. htt://mkat.iwf.de/index.asp?Signatur=c%209779

I think a hive can be made of just about anything Ive heard of concrete,clay,straw,sheetmetal,plastic.Im sure PVC would make a great hive.

&gt;Has anyone used those polystyrene hives before?just wondering if there any good.

They seem to be ok. But of the three the nucs I put in single mediums with foam underneath only one has made it this far. I haven't checked the deep five frame nuc I have in Iowa yet. I hope it's doing well.

If you search for "rupert honey" or "jackson hive" you'll find a hive made in Africa that is made of the plastic cardboard material. You can also buy nucs of this material from MDA splitter. I have had bees in the MDA splitter and they did fine, but the box is a bit flimsy when you try to handle it. It bends a lot.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF