Thread: Dead Queens

I split my hive this weekend, planning on putting a new queen on each split. On friday I killed the old queen after the two queens had arrived. I split the hive, planning on placing the new queens 24 hours later. Next day, one of the queens had died. I place the (remaining) new queen on one of the hives, but the other remains queenless. I am pretty sure that if left unattended the queenless hive will make its own queen, but was looking forward to clamer bees. My question is how much time do I have to order a new queen and install her?

[This message has been edited by GAbee (edited July 21, 2003).]

Why 2 queens on each split?

1 queen per split, sorry about the confusion

[This message has been edited by GAbee (edited July 21, 2003).]

At first it sounds like you got four queens and were putting two queens on each split, but then you say one died and now one of the splits is queenless. So I'm assuming that the initial statement about two queens is really one for each split. You may be surprised how calm an new queen raised from the same stock might be. Sometimes they are grouchy because the queen is failing. Also the new queen will get out mated and may be better than you think. But if you want to buy a new one (which will slow the bees down less) then just destroy all the existing queen cells when you install her and they will probably accept her.