Question

Greetings . . .

How many frames (or sides) of brood (capped & uncapped) should a 2-mo old package have? I am finding maybe 3 or 4 capped, 1 or 2 uncapped w/ eggs & larvae. For some reason, I expected many more!

thanx,
    Dave W

>I am finding maybe 3 or 4 capped, 1 or 2 uncapped w/ eggs & larvae. For some reason, I expected many more!

That's a total of six frames of brood. I assume these are deep frames. That's a nice brood nest. I wouldn't expect to find more than 8 frames of brood all total in a brood nest. A lot of the nest is pollen and honey to feed with, and enough to last several rainy days of feeding larvae.

When you run a brood area of two deeps you expect the outside frames to be honey and pollen and the top box to be honey and pollen (that you will leave for the winter) and somewhere in the middle six to eight frames of brood.

Remember that your only talking about three brood cycles from the point of installation. The queen will only go as fast in each additional cycle as comb, food and hive temp will allow. Sounds like your where you should be.