Any thoughts and/or experience using plain "light" corn syrup. I saw some gentleman wrote in the q/a section of ABJ this month that he noticed dead bees in fron of his hives after feeding corn syrup. I have also observed this happening. I was feeding a mix of plain light corn syrup and cane sugar/water. Anyone have any insights, ideas or warnnigs to pass on about using non HFCS corn syrup?

thanks

I have fed small quantities of the corn syrup from the store. The bees did not seem to like it much and I've never used it much. I've also not noticed the thriving I expect when feeding, but that's also probably partly because they don't seem to want it.

The subject has been brought up before about "light Karo syrup". I would also like to hear if anyone knows of any study or research on it being unhealthy for the bees.

I assume we are not talking about bulk HFCS beging sold as bee food, but the light "Karo" syrup (or generic version of it) in the grocery store.

Corn syrup and high fructose corn syrup are very different things. The Cargill web site indicates that corn syrup is composed largely of glucose and maltose. But even that is a gross generalization. They offer 27 or so different grades of corn syrup. Some are MOSTLY maltose.

I doubt any these would make good bee feed for over wintering.

I looked at a bottle of Karo syrup in my kitchen cabinet. There is no indication on the bottle as to the type of corn syrup it contains. The ingredients read -- light corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, salt, vanilla. (for those of you who like all natural things, I'm willing to bet this is not natural vanilla)

IMO If you are going to use sugar from corn sources, stick to HFCS.

Hi all, and thanks for the replies.

The corn syrup I was using was bought in 60lb bulk from a local food distributor here in CT. It was definately not HFCS, but rather plain "light corn syrup" - By itself the bees would "pick at it" but with nothing of the enthusiasm they would show when I fed cane sugar syrup. The consistancy of this syrup was very thick, even thicker than honey. I began mixing the light corn syrup with my 2:1 cane sugar syrup. In one of my hives I notice the bees seem to have dysentery like symptoms, and I found several dozen dead bees in front of the hive. The other hive I fed this mixture to does not seem to have any of the dysenteric symptoms, nor have I seen any dead bees. I do not know if this is simply coincindental with feeding of the corn syrup. I have fed both hives with fumigilan-B. I dont intend to use any of the corn syrup at all in the future. Perhaps I'll donate the remaining 60lb pail I have to the local bakery.

thanks again for your input.

-cheers