Thread: Grants

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi all!

I wanted to start a new topic on grants. I'm just starting the post, and welcome all to give any information you may have on the subject. I will be adding info. that I have in the days to come.

Grants can be applied for from a variety of places. They come for local, state, and federal gov. agencies. Grants can also be applied for through some large corp. Most of your county extension agents can help you find state and federal grants. The internet is also a great place to find them.

Some things to know about grants are:

You have to use the money (all of it) on what you applied for, ie. hives, land, honey house, ect. You can't use some of it on a new truck unless that is what you applied for. You have to show (whoever) what you did with the money.

Grants are put out for reasons! Don't waste your time putting in for a grant that you KNOW will not get ie. don't apply for one that doesn't cover beekeeping ect. Make sure it's not a loan!!! You don't want to pay it back!

Be creative! One for the most important parts when appling is the "essay" or "explanation" part of the grant. This is the part where you tell the person why YOU should get the grant instead of somone else. It helps if you can show how the communty will benefit from your grant. ie "With the money that receive for the honey house. I want to have a class room in it so I can educate the public about the honey bee and its benefit to aricultural crops...."

I'll have more later....add what you can.

BB

Thanks B Bob,

I look forward to reading more on the topic. I have so many beekeeping needs that it won't be any trouble providing that information.

I have good location of our area, and good exposure, and the desire to reach out to our local community to educate the children and future farmers on the benefits of the pollinator insects.

I'll need more tips on how to create my beekeeping essay (what to say). PLEASE! LOL

BILLY BOB Guest

Here are some sights that have grants.
    www.usda.gov
    www.teamaggeorgia.com
    www.griffin.peachnet.edu/sare/farmpage.html

Check them out and try not to get lost in all the links.
    The team agriculture site has workshops that show you how to apply for grants and what not. It's held in Ga, but I think it's open to everyone.

BB

Question

hi Bob
    you got my interest up can a person like me raiseing queens and trying to do research on the use of essential oils to treat mites and fogging for the shb get any help?/
    thanks
    Don

feel free to e mail me

BILLY BOB Guest

Hi Don, Long time since we talked!

Try the web sight:
    www.teamaggeorgia.com

They should be able to help you the most. Another thing you should remember is that you can get grants with other research centers. Bee labs can't do all the research (lack of man power), and take care of the bees (man pwoer/cost of hives), or have the area to keep them. Some research needs to be done away from the aparies at the bee labs.

BB

Is there a place where I can get an example of an essay that they need to begin my application process for a grant?

BILLY BOB Guest

Daisy,

You may have to check out your state Dept of Agriculture. Here in Ga the DOA gives workshops on beekeeping and grant application. You can check and see if you can come to the Team Ag workshop, but it will be a long ride for you. I'd give my county extension agent a call and see what they have to say. If there not any help let me know and I'll send you what little I have on it.

BB