BigBee Guest

I just strained honey from two shallow supers. I am a little concerned about some of them not being completely capped.
    If I were to give a percentage, I would have to say at least 95% was capped.
    Should I be worried about 30 - 40 lbs of honey formenting on me? Should I have it tested? Should I freeze it? It is already bottled in quarts and pints on my kitchen counter.

Thanks
    Rob

If 95% of your honey was capped, it is likely ok. Occationally even capped honey moisture is high. If you know someone with a refractometer you can test it. Perhaps you can ask your local bee club. You can also compare your honey to grocery store honey by placeing your honey in a see thru container and turning it over. Compare how fast the bubbles rise in each. Make sure both honeys are the same temperature. I think honey from large packers sold in groceries runs about 18 to 18.5%.

I'm sure some of this is climate, but I figure 80 to 90 percent capped works fine around here and I've never had it ferment. But if you live in a humid climate you might have to be more careful.

BigBee Guest

Thanks for the info.
    These bulletin boards are a great place for information. My first year is definitely a learning experience. I’m hoping that all my honey will be ok; it sure looks and tastes good so far. My lower super was almost clear and the super on top of that one is a little darker.
    Thanks
    Rob

> My lower super was almost clear and the super on top of that one is a little darker.

I tend to sort it when I extract to try to get the dark and the light seperated.

I like to taste the differences and customers like the idea of the differences.

BigBee Guest

MB,
    I did seperate the two.
    I have several clear/amber bottles of honey and I also have just a shade darker bottles of honey. A diffinate differance in taste also. I still have a couple more supers I will take off around the end of Sept or October.
    Thanks for the reply

Rob