Hybrid View

Ok, I'm starting to have bees this spring. My first time. I am going to use a mouse guard and I was wondering if I should put it on first in the spring and just leave it on all year round. Or should I just put it on in fall? Also with wrapping tar paper is it easy to administer that without the bees going crazy? Looks hard to get it on the hives.

Beeperson

>Ok, I'm starting to have bees this spring. My first time. I am going to use a mouse guard and I was wondering if I should put it on first in the spring and just leave it on all year round. Or should I just put it on in fall?

Put it on when it gets cold enough for the bees to start clustering after there is no hope of any more fall flow.

>Also with wrapping tar paper is it easy to administer that without the bees going crazy?

I've never done it, but I don't think it would be difficult.

>Looks hard to get it on the hives.

A stapler and a knife is all it would take.

Where do you live?

I've been in Western Nebraska, Larmamie WY and the front range of Colorado and I've never wrapped a hive.

Never lost one to cold. Mites, yes.

tarpaper wrap is very simple. Just wait till the bees have clustered on a cold fall eve or morn and wrap & staple it in place.

If you live in the south you probably don't have to wrap at all. Even alot of northern beekeepers don't wrap. But I think tar paper wrap will be good in most northern locations. As for putting on tar paper on a colony it should be less of a deal than actually manipulating bees, and easy to put on. Staple it on , or use a wodden cleat with a a few nails and tack it on. No big deal. As for mouse guards you should place them on in the fall just before MR./MRS. mouse look for a winter home. Remove them in the spring. When you remove the mouse guard in the spring you should time it to do your spring cleaning. So remove the mouse guard, scrape bottom board clean (or swap for a newly painted one), reverse, paint boxes if needed, tighten nails in boxes, level hives that have settled off level, ect.

I suppose I should say more about WHY you have a mouse gaurd and why it's only on in the fall and winter. But when the bees are active and flying mice are not a problem. When the cold comes and the bees are clustered and lethargic, the mice like the heat, shelter and food of the hive and move in. As long as the bees are still flying you don't need a mouse gaurd.

Wink

>But when the bees are active and flying mice are not a problem.

That's true, I have active bees and flying mice are not a problem for me either.

But when the bees are active and flying (comma) mice are not a problem.

Throw me down the stairs my coat.

I would like to have a sugar glider, how can you find them in our area?

I do not know about your area but I know a breeder of the sugar gliders.

HB - Look for my e-mail, thanks.

Well I live in southeastern Ohio. I'm probably gonna throw it on around september, cause I'm really parenoid about mice. They seem to get into everything around where I live.

Morphic,
    I'm here in KY. Sept. is about the time I put my mouse guards on.
    D.