How long can a captured swarm survive without a queen? I plan to "trap" bees from a friends hollow tree and move them a couple of miles home. I'm fairly sure I will not get the queen. How long do I have to order a queen? I don't want to order one until I'm sure I get a sufficient number of bees.

Also, should I keep the captured bees confined until I requeen? Will they survive if I just give them a comb of honey or comb filled syrup?

Or should I let them fly and hope they stay at their new home?

Thanx,
    Hayseed

Do you have any other resources? A frame of open brood (with eggs) will tide them over as they will start a new queen and then you can either let them raise the new queen or buy one and remove the queen cells.

Another option is Bee Boost from Mann Lake. But just a queen doesn't hold them as well as a frame of open brood. No queen and no brood may not hold them at all.

I agree with Micahel, I just traped some out of a tree ( got nuc box full ) but I started with a frame of brood and they developed two nice queen cells so it is free bees for you, but it takes time.