Thread: Used supers

Question

I am looking at purchasing some used supers with frames but they have not been used for 6 - 8 years. They have been kept in a shed which feral bees would get into periodically and maybe a couple of swarms over the years. Mice have wrecked some of the frames and old comb.
    My question is what is the potential for disease in old supers and frames and how should I treat (disinfect) them when I get them and before I put them on in the spring. If there was any foulbrood or other diseases, can it survive in the old combs? What all should I do to them (supers and contents)
    Any thoughts most appreciated.

Bryan

>I am looking at purchasing some used supers with frames but they have not been used for 6 - 8 years. They have been kept in a shed which feral bees would get into periodically and maybe a couple of swarms over the years. Mice have wrecked some of the frames and old comb.

Chances are the frames and the combs aren't worth a lot. Old combs that have been eaten by moths and had mice chewing on them aren't really worth a lot. You might get some good out of them and you might not.

>My question is what is the potential for disease in old supers and frames

Always a possiblilty. Odds are in your favor but you never know.

>and how should I treat (disinfect) them when I get them and before I put them on in the spring.

You can boil them in lye. But I'm not sure that is 100% effectitive. You can burn out the inside of the boxes. (see ABC XYZ of beekeeping or other books on how to do this)

>If there was any foulbrood or other diseases, can it survive in the old combs?

Absolutely.

>What all should I do to them (supers and contents)

If I got a good enough deal and I didn't think they were infected, I'd just use them. If I got a bad feeling about the guy selling them, I'd run away quickly. But they'd have to be pretty cheap for me to buy them.