Question

My backyard is about 16 Meters by about 20 meters from back back fence to the house.

what is the recomended distance from the back fence (neibour)that the hive should be

I also have neibours to the sides of the house
    any help would be great

It's probably more important which way you face it. I'd face it away from any traffic (probably away from the back fence?) and I suppose I'd try to stay 4 meters or so from the fence just in case the bees start getting defensive. When I keep them in town on a small lot, I tend to put them close to the house in the back yard so that there is maximum distance from the edge of my property and face the entrace toward my house so that people walking by in my yard, won't set off the gaurd bees. If bee traffic is a problem you could put up a fence that is two meters or so high so that the bees have to go that high to leave then they don't run into people. I have never bothered with the fence. I have been fortunate in the many years I kept bees in town none every got vicious. I have had some bees in the last year that I would not have felt comfortable with in town.

Thanks for that info just a few things

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I tend to put them close to the house in the back yard so that there is maximum distance from the edge of my property and face the entrace toward my house so that people walking by in my yard, won't set off the gaurd bees. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How far from the house is this in your example

also how far from the entrance to the hive does the 2 meter fence have to be so the bees fly over this.

my back fence neibour has many trees over 3 meters so that should not be a problem if i place the hive close to the back fence say about 1 or 2 meters away from back fence but the entrance facing our property.

thanks

[This message has been edited by chiefman (edited May 30, 2003).]

I put the hive a meter from the house so I can walk all the way around it. Since the entrance faces a wall the bees tend to have to turn and go up anyway, so I haven't bother with a fence, but then I don't mind an absent minded bee running into me now and then. The distance to the fence is really only critical to being able to work the bees and traffic in your yard. For instance, if the fence is around your property then the bees may not get to full altitude until the edge of the yard. Again the only disadvantage is an occasional collision. Bees tha accidently run into you don't sting, but some people find it disconcerting. (not that it happens a lot anyway if the entrace faces the wall) If the fence is right next to the hive you have to have room to walk around the hive and work it. But now the bees get their altitude sooner. Once they are up they maintain their altitude until they get to the nectar/pollen. I would just face the hive toward the wall and not worry about the fence, myself.