Thread: Beekeeper Quiz

Question

I was at gobeekeeping.com. They have a quiz that you can take. The questions change if you take it more than once. I took it twice. My first score was 37 of 50. The questions I missed for the most part were not needed info. like the one about AHBs found in the wing of a plane that came from Texas, where was it found?(SC). Another was the color of marked queens for a certain year. I am going to list some of the other questions I missed with thier answer and why I disagree or did not find a proper answer from my point of view.

#1 A queen usually stops laying eggs during a period of:
    A) very cold weather
    B) long nights, short days
    C) long days, short nights
    D) during Jan./Feb.
    Their answer is B. My thought was during a dearth of nector and or pollen. The reason they give is that long nights and short days reduce pollen coming into the hive.

#2 Varroa and tracheal mites were first detected in the USA between:
    A) 1971-1975
    B) 1976-1982
    C) 1983-1988
    D)1989-1995
    Their answer was C. The problem I have with this is that my familly moved to TN in 1982. I was only ten but loved the bees so I read the Bee mags my father had. The mites were the reason that my father decided to leave the hives behind. I am thinking thou it was only tracheal mites at that time.

#3 A queen is absent from the hive for about 4 weeks, which of the following conditions WILL the beekeeper MOST LIKELY find in the hive?
    A) laying workers
    B) queen cells
    C) abandoned hive or dead out
    D) small queens which have not yet mated
    Their answer is A. In 4 weeks time they should of raised a queen and she should have started to lay or be very close to laying at least. Since they did not give that as an option may be the reason for the answer to be laying worker.

#4 A field is sprayed with a pesticide in the afternoon, honeybees located ______ from the field would be FAIRLY safe from pesticide poisoning.
    A) 1/4 of a mile
    B) 1/2 of a mile
    C) 1 mile
    D) none of the above
    Their answer is C. Does this not depend on location and what crop was sprayed(wether or not it was bee forage type plant). As much woodland is around my hives and the flow of nector from tulip poplar when it is in season you could spay the non blooming feild of soybeans 1/2 mile away without much if any damage. On the other hand if you were spraying the alfapha(sp) field 2 miles away during our slow period it could destroy the foraging force of a colony to the point of killing the colony.

Please tell me if my thinking was wrong. All of these have a real need to know answer except when the mites were found in the USA. This being My first year keeping bees these factor could pop up in the near future.
    Thanks JC

#1 A queen usually stops laying eggs during a period of:
    A) very cold weather
    B) long nights, short days
    C) long days, short nights
    D) during Jan./Feb.

Well, B is the best of the four they offered, but they queen will quit when there is a dearth of nectar and pollen.

#2 Varroa and tracheal mites were first detected in the USA between:
    A) 1971-1975
    B) 1976-1982
    C) 1983-1988
    D)1989-1995

Part of the problem is in the question. The Tracheal mites were here first, if I remember right. But I was reading about them being here at least in 1976, I'm quite sure of that. But I never saw any until the range given in "D". 1989-1995.

#3 A queen is absent from the hive for about 4 weeks, which of the following conditions WILL the beekeeper MOST LIKELY find in the hive?
    A) laying workers
    B) queen cells
    C) abandoned hive or dead out
    D) small queens which have not yet mated

Again, "A" is the best one they offered. But the answer may be in the question. If there has been no queen in four weeks, they didn't raise one.

#4 A field is sprayed with a pesticide in the afternoon, honeybees located ______ from the field would be FAIRLY safe from pesticide poisoning.
    A) 1/4 of a mile
    B) 1/2 of a mile
    C) 1 mile
    D) none of the above

With their question they are saying "Fairly safe". Not completely safe. While it's true that MOST of the time bees aren't flying that far, I would worry a little if it wasn't at least 2 miles because 1) bees forage that far (and there may be a honey flow where the crop is that far) and 2) pesticide drifts a long ways.