Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Regression of a new 3 lb package

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  drobbins 
#1 ·
I want to immediately regress (or nearly so) some new 3 lb packages of bees. I am using medium 8-frame boxes in all tiers.

My intentions are to use Honey Super Cell in the first-tier brood box. (I also have some of the plastic small cell frames from Mann Lake to use when the HSC runs out.)

Then I intend to go straight to foundationless frames in the the second tier.

Will this give the bees enough time to create a smaller second generation that will naturally build small cells or will I need to force regression in the second tier with HSC also?

Thanks.

#5 ·
I started my first package on small cell starter strips. They have done well I plan to measure the cells this April for a one year regression check.

#8 ·
Bee Bob

it seems to me that one nice thing about HSC is the fact that they should draw really nice natural comb in an empty frame placed between 2 HSC frames
when you get ready to add your second box why not take 2 frames of HSC from the first box and put them in the middle of the second
replace those two with two empty frames in the first box placing the empty frames between HSC frames
then in the top box put one empty frame between the two HSC frames
let's call it interleaving
the HSC frames should act like a guide to keep the natural comb good and straight
I'm going to try something along those lines

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.