Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Getting started,Dangerous?

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  gpjohns 
#1 ·
For years I have wanted to get started in beekeeping.I live in a Quiet rural community where all neighbors are a couple hundred yards apart.This seems like the perfect setting for a beekeeper but one neighbor that I spoke with several years ago tells me she has severe reactions to bee stings which could possibly be lethal if not treated immediately.My feeling is that she is taking a chance every day she goes outside.There are bees and hornets everywhere.Any advice from anyone on how bee hives affect their immediate surrondings?

G
#2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gary:
Any advice from anyone on how bee hives affect their immediate surrondings?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gary,
Your setting sounds ideal for bees as long as you have good bee pasture around. As for your neighbor...it's sad but true that there are people who are highly allergic to bee and wasp stings. I have some relatives who are that way. They keep a medical kit with them (for bee stings) so they can still enjoy the outdoors.

As for how the bees affect the environment around them...I live in a small town (less than 15,000) in Oklahoma. I have one hive in my backyard with neighbors on all sides of me. I have a privacy fence that forces the bees to fly over the heads of anyone on the other side and have never had any complaints about my bees. The simple truth is that the bees will not disturb people if left alone. I do make sure that my bees have water nearby so they don't make a nusiance of themselves in others water fountains. There are several large gardens around my neighborhood and I have talked with the gardners and they have no complaints about the bees.

My $0.02 worth is to go ahead and put in a couple of hives and see if you really want to mess with bees. You might as a matter of courtesy tell your neighbor who is allergic where the hives will be. But it really comes down to what your rights are. And unless your town has ordinances forbidding the keeping of bees you should be OK.

(Note: I am not a lawyer nor do I play one on TV!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.