Thread: Bee kill

Angry

Sun came out today. The bees working the cotton blooms hard. Plane flies over head spraying. 500 dead bees in front of one hive, 300 dead in front of another, 200 in front of another. Just makes me wonder how many didn't make it back to their hive before they died? Comments?

If at all possible get the numbers off the side or wing of the plane when it flies by... you may need some binoculars.. This will allow you to identify the owner and most likely the pilot of the plane... from there it is up to you what you want to do...

[This message has been edited by oregonsparkie (edited August 16, 2004).]

A lot didn't make it back. My guess is half your bees are gone.

I'm in the same boat.

Sad

I hope this helps
    http://www.gardenbees.com/mosquito%2...onBlossoms.htm
    http://www.extension.iastate.edu/Pub.../PAT1CHP13.pdf
    http://www.btny.purdue.edu/pubs/PPP/...24pg19-28.html

Go to the owner of the field and find out who sprayed and what they used. You should have been notified. All pesticides have a warning on the lable about bees. It is their responsibility to let you know plus no blooming flower is suppose to be sprayed if bees are present. A simple phone call to you 24-48 hours before could have avoided this problem.
    Sorry about your loss.

Dan

I'm curious. What would he have done if he did get adequate notice? Block all bee exits the night before so they can't get out? What if its a hot day?

I Have tried it both ways. I lost a lot more by closing up the hives the night before. Others in my area had the same results. In some cases I have lost the whole hive. (Closed up the night before) I seemed to have luck just letting them go like normal. I checked them today and they will survive. These are super strong hives.
    But things can get worse. I was told they spray every time it rains. What Happens if we get a rainy week?

Bjerm2,
    Those links are very interesting. The first link was in Horry County. I live close to Horry County and Clemson Ext. Is in charge of things in my area.

I read this great book on migratory beekeeping and it addresses pestacide use. The commerical beekeepers, when notafied (usually 24-48 hours) will move all of their hives.

I have screened doors, but I also have SBB. I would screen the entrance shut and make sure the SBB was open. That allows quite a bit of ventilation. You can buy screen doors from Brushy Mt that go on the front and give more room for ventilation.

Certainly if you close them up on a hot day they have to have a lot of ventilation. An inside feeder with water in it wouldn't hurt either, but you may not have time for all of that on short notice.

You can also add to MB suggestion with a burlap or some other cloth and wet it down. Close up the hives early morning, real early.
    Put a pail with a cloth sticking out of it over the hive and let capillary suction start working and it will take all day for the bucket or pail to empty. Or just move them away from there.
    Those are the only options if they have to spray during the day. Late evening would be better and there would be small losses.
    Dan

they flew over my house last week and sprayed for gypsy moths. I had no warning, but the blue powdery substance is all over everything in the yard, and I noticed a few (not many)dead bees on my back porch in the morning for about 3 days afterwards. My hive populations have seemed to decrease since last check 2 weeks ago.