Thread: Weather

Question

I've noticed that in the evening the bees tend to gather outside the entrance of the hive (it's been hot and dry up here for a bit), are they just "chilling" or is something wrong?? Also all my hives, useally calm, have gotten aggresive , is it the weather?? Or something else??

In times of low or no nectar production, this called a dearth, bees are naturally more aggresiive and on the defensive against robbers, etc. Just that time of year.
    All assuming your bees are not being agitated by skunks, etc.

No skunks the hives are in a fenced enclorsure. You may have hit the nail on the head. With the dry conditions and few flowers blooming at this time.

Generally speaking the gathering on the outside of the hive is caused by the interior of the hive being to hot. Increase the ventilation and it will probably stop.

Congestion can also cause bees to gather on the outside of the hive. Often can go hand in hand with ventilation.

We had a spell of hot humid weather about a week ago and I had clustered bees (several bees deep) buliding up on the outside of a hive. I gave them more ventilation. They swarmed.

Now the weather is warm again. Some of the bees in this same hive are out front, but they are "washboarding" and not clinging in great masses.

For what it's worth.

And I was afraid I had MAD BEE DESEASE or something like that.