Big Grin

DELETED

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited May 19, 2003).]

Lightbulb

I always add something that floats also like small sticks or foam popcorn to the inside along with the syrup
    Clint

------------------
    Clinton Bemrose
    just South of Lansing Michigan

If you cut some screen wire so that it lines the inside with screen or some #8 hardware cloth then they have a ladder to get out. Basically it should be as wide as the feeder and as long as twice the height of the feeder plus the width. Then you can fold it into a "U" shape and put it inside. Also, you could cut a piece of wood the size of the inside bottom of the feeder to give them a float to stand on. If you don't at least do one or the other many bees will drown. Also, you'll notice if you fill it full it expands in the middle. I usually use a scrap of sheet metal and make an upside down "U" shaped clip to hold the sides together so they don't swell with the weight of the syrup. Actually, I don't like division board feeders much because I've has so many bees drown and they don't maintain beespace very well. Since I make the clips and the "ladders" out of hardware cloth it has greatly improved my opinion of them. Brushy Mt. has them made of wood that don't swell and already have the hardware cloth and they have a lid that can be put in when not in use so the bees don't build comb in it.

Cool

I like the zip lock bags for feeding.Just put a 1 to 2 inch slit init and you get very few drowned bees.With the cool weather we have in the north I have problems with drowning with a divisin board feeder even with floats or screen.I was wondering Alley,what kind of a camera did you use to take those great pictures?

I use division board feeders, and they work great for me. I simply put a bunch of tree twigs in the feeder to prevent drowning. Be sure most of the surip surface is covered or you might get a bit of drowning. I use them only for spring feeding, they are left in all year. Division board spring feeding is my favorite over all other methods

Ian

DELETED(edited April 19, 2003).]

[This message has been edited by alleyyooper (edited May 19, 2003).]