East Texas Pine Rooter Guest

My bee apaiary is located in the pineywoods. When i go to look at a frame, it is stuck, but good! My hives all have top entrances. How can i use the propolis trap? Would I have to cut a hole in the middle of it to let bees into the hive, to use with a top entrance?

Who has the best prices on a propolis trap? I tried to get onto brushey mountan web site, but had no luck. mann lake is 2-3 dollars cheaper than dadant. I bought some swarm traps from brushey mt., and they sere a lot cheaper on the freight than dadant, and dadant is only 100-miles north of me in Paris, tx. Does brushey mt. have a mail out catalog?

You could put it on top, you could slide it back (depending on how your entrance works) and leave a gap for the bees at the front.

My entrance is a botom board turned upside down. Do the bees try to seal all the cracks in the propolis trap? How does it work?

>Do the bees try to seal all the cracks in the propolis trap? How does it work?

Yes, they cover the trap with propolis. When it is covered you put it in the freezer until brittle, take it out and bending it the propolis will snap off in frozen chunks.

Cool

I am just wondering when is the best time to put one on. And wouldn't it take their energies that would be used to comb building and honey/pollen production?

thanks,
    Martha

Stupid question...but what do you use the propolis for once you freeze it and crack it into pieces?

You can make a tincture and use it for an antibiotic on cuts. You can sell it to various places that buy it. You can make varnish out of it for high dollar violins. You can eat it as a health food...