Default Too much nectar not enough brood?

Newbie question. I brought home a 3 frame Nuc last week and installed it in my hive. Its been raining here in Toronto, so I've been feeding the bees a mason jar of 2:1 sugar syrup. I can see my queen but I dont see a lot of eggs or larva, but I do see a what I think are capped brood. So I'm worried that she is not laying right, and that all the brood is from when these nuc frames were taken from another hive. The 3 frames from the nuc are drawn comb, while my frames are wood with plastic.
    They are just starting to add comb to one of the plastic frames.

Here are some photos of my frames. How do things look?
    Any info/pointers would be great. Do you see any larva?

Frame1 http://metricktv.com/_content/Random...oneyJune10.jpg
    Frame1B http://metricktv.com/_content/Random...oneyJune10.jpg

Frame2 http://metricktv.com/_content/Random...roodJune10.jpg
    Frame2B http://metricktv.com/_content/Random...roodJune10.jpg

Frame3 http://metricktv.com/_content/Random...isitJune10.jpg

Thanks for any input.
    Chris

Default Re: Too much nectar not enough brood?

Not positive as I am looking on my phone but a few look like they have mites, of coarse not really clear when I zoom in but could be somethingcheck
    Last edited by MariahK; 06-10-2015 at 06:55 PM.

There is larvae on frame 2 and 2B, and I can see eggs on frame 2, so I think you are ok.

Yes, your queen is near the center of the second photo. The frames look good. She can only lay as fast as she has nurse bees to raise what she lays. Yes there is sealed brood, as well as eggs and open larva. You also have nectar and honey and pollen stores. Everything looks pretty good from here. I'd say keep on doing what you have been doing. As she gets more brood emerge, and lays more, then gets more brood emerge, the hive will reach a point where it starts growing faster. It takes about 6 weeks to notice. Remember, bees are dying every day but the queen lays faster than bees are dying.

They draw wax from nectar, and they backfill the brooding area some until they get shy of room, then they'll start drawing comb more to get more room for brood, it's kind of like a balancing act. So keeping the syrup on them to supplement the flows will keep them drawing wax. Once they get started drawing wax, then they'll keep on doing it so long as they have nectar or syrup enough coming in faster than what's needed to feed the brood that is there.
    "A good day is when no one shows up and you don't have to go anywhere." - Burt Shavitz (Burt's Buzz)

I agree with Ray.
    ( of course every time I see a red/brown spot, I think its a mite. I see them in my sleep, so I try not to panic.)
    check for mites, perhaps treat preventatively ... or not.
    Good luck with your bees ... CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.

Like Ray said. G

Thanks for the input. I think I see the eggs/larva now. I hadn't realized that the queen could only lay as many eggs as the nurse bees could handle. Makes sense.
    I'll look for mites on the bees and in my screened bottom.

Thanks,
    Chris

We have had so much rain here that it is flooding. Hence many of the queens are not laying as well as they might be. She won't lay if there isn't' enough pollen accessible to feed new babies either. Workers just can't get out there and collect it, as well as it being washed away, or wet.
    "Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever." year 3, 14 langs and 2 top bars
    www.4cornersbeekeepers.com

Feeding constantly can lead to them filling all the available space with syrup and the queen has no where to lay and the next thing you know they swarm when they are still small and weak...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I don't see enough pollen to kick them into high gear on expansion.
    Queen size reflects a low-level need for eggs.
    W
    Last edited by wcubed; 06-13-2015 at 04:32 AM.