Default first crack at making splits

Pretty stoked actually!
    I had made 4 nucs in the last 3-4 weeks from two larger hives
    ->2 of the nucs I let raise their own queen and 2 nucs I introduced mated Russian queens
    Another larger queenless hive also raised their own queen

I have just checked:
    Larger hive has virgin queen
    First nuc made has raised their own queen which I found she looks mated but no eggs that I could see yet
    Second nuc has a capped queen cell with the tip being chewed off so should emerge today
    The two nucs I introduced the Russian queens to 2 days ago--> both queens released and accepted.

Overall pretty darn happy!

Default Re: first crack at making splits

Congrats what's next

Overall pretty darn good for a newbee

Nicely done. I too made 4 splits for my first crack all but 1 have laying queens now the other for some reason took a few more days to make queen and she never got mated because of the weather.

JMS - don't feel to bad as this is the average - 75-80% is normal for me - If I want 100 nucs - I make up 120 - That's just the way it is

I wasn't too worried about it. I have some mated nwc queens coming Wednesday so I gave them a half frame of capped brood and there was some open brood too to keep numbers up even though they have lots of bees. I had to take it out of one of the other nucs as she had every available cell filled what a girl and those old world carniolans boy do they like to try and swarm lol

cheers all! im stoked it all has worked so far...I wont celebrate too much til I see all the new queens laying but so far so good.
    Next I hope to get some honey this year so I have to try and figure that part out next.

The two larger hives ( both minus 3 frames of capped brood and 1 frame of honey and 1 of pollen and nectar that I stole to make the two nucs which I added the Russian queens to) are both 2 10 frame deeps of brood with tons of bees and the queens seem to be doing a great job. The larger of the two for some dumb reason I put a 3rd 10 frame deep on and they are now working on that also.

SO a few pointers team...whats next so that I can try and get some honey? I have medium supers and frames with foundation ( not built up with comb) ready to go. When do I put them on? Do I leave the first 2 mediums for the bees?

'thanks for the pointers!

Aran

All depends on the weather I have my supers on right now

I have had supers on for a few weeks now. I'm not far from you. Put them on. The bees usually fill the deeps with honey for the winter. Just make sure they are filling it in the fall

sounds good ill put them on today!

Aran - this is the thing to remember on supering - will the supers get filled with honey in the barn? Will foundation get pulled in the barn? Did you buy these for yard ornaments. Put those supers on

yes fair point sakhoney--->just wasn't sure about giving them too much space I guess...but advice taken supers are on as of today!!!!!

good lad - now you make sure you let us know how much honey ya make - ya hear?

hiw long do I expect to wait from putting the medium honey super on until I am able to harvest the honey? Trying to plan ahead for buying the extracting stuff.

by the way i checked the 4 nucs i made-> 3 of the 4 have laying queens and the large hive with no queen previously have also raised a new queen and has fresh eggs in it.
    One of the nucs for whatever remains queenless so i gave them two new frames of eggs/capped and uncapped brood and workers for them to start again.