Default Nuc with supersedure cells....question.

So I bought two nucs two weeks ago. They both have booming populations, capped brood and open brood. One of them has a bigger population so I added a super last weekend, this weekend I have supercedure cells......or swarm cells but they are being built off the middle of the frame. I can't seem to find the queen.....I don't want them to swarm. So my question is what is the best way to proceed?
    zone 5b - 3 hives
    Beginning beekeeping www.beekhq.com

Default Re: Nuc with supersedure cells....question.

I am a newbeek but Swarm cells are at the bottom of the frame. Look for eggs in the cells that will tell you if you have a queen without finding her. Supercedure cells are usually in the middle of the frame if something has happened to the queen or if she has gotten killed. Good luck man!!!

Swarm cells are often drawn in places other than the bottom of a frame.

I've found swarm cells in the middle frames before as well as near the top bar.

Swarm frames are not identified by position on the frame, but by what is going on in the hive when they are drawn.

When the the queen slows or stops.laying eggs.in the brood nest, and the bees begin to fill the empty brood cells with nectar, and queen cups appear and develop into queen cells not matter where those queen cells are, you are already late in swarm prevention management -- they are queen cells, and left alone, the hive will swarm as soon as on of them is capped, give or take a day or two.

When you find these conditions, a cut down split done and immediately is the only predictable way I know to.prevent swarming.

Have fun.
    Enjoy your bees.

How many queen cells? Like beregondo said, they can be anywhere and be swarm cells. Usually, if there are about five they could be emergency queen cells that are built when the queen gets killed by rolling, squishing, etc. They look smaller than most QCs because the bees build them from regular worker cells and extend them over the end and downward so the queen has room to grow. I made a split almost two weeks ago with a large swarm cell on a frame,three other frames of brood and a frame of honey/pollen. I checked on the nuc yesterday and the swarm cell had disappeared and there were 9 smaller emergency type cells on the frame that had young brood on it when I put it in the nuc. I also shook three frames of nurse bees into the nuc. I guess they didn't like the cell I selected.

They are definitely built off worker brood cells. I guess I'll wait and keep an eye on them.
    zone 5b - 3 hives
    Beginning beekeeping www.beekhq.com