Thread: Dead queen

Default Dead queen

I started my package 4 weeks ago. In a foundationless medium 8 frame hive. A little over aweek ago I found the queen dead on the ground in front of the hive. I called for a replacement but it didnt come until today. The girls have been working hard building comb and bringing pollen in. The dead queen had not layed any eggs so there will be no brood until 3 weeks after I release the new queen. That will be at just under 2 months. My question is, will the hive survive until then or will the package have died of old age by then? If so what can I do?

Default Re: Dead queen

It will shrink but the 6 weeks is more of a as little as date than an expiration date. Feeding will cut down on their wear and tear. I have not run a test on this, but the growth in a normal package does not look like a 100% replacement. I have had queenless overwintered bees survive a slow requeen.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Keep the faith and dont disturb them to much. Give them some iiquid chow if there isnt a flow going on in your area . They will be a bit " grumpy" so some space may be needed.
    "Anytime you see someone more successful than you are, they are doing something you aren't."

Just wanted to post to keep this thread identifiable when I log in. I have the same concern in a hive of mine and want to "follow" the responses.

BTW- anyone here know how to "mark" a thread without having to post a reply....like this? Thanks, juzzer

Subscribe to the thread; http://www.beesource.com/forums/faq....xt=1&match=all

4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.