Default completely see through langstroth hives?

We've all seen pictures of bees drawing comb on trees like this.
    2.jpg3.jpg

So obviously they don't mind direct sun from dusk till dawn right? Then why doesn't anyone have completely see through langstroth hives? I've seen observation hives with one or two sides clear and I've seen windows in top bar hives but never a completely see through regular hive. Could this be done? Has it been done? I think they would be really cool (at least for us backyard hobbyist) and help with SHB beetles too. Thoughts?

Default Re: completely see through langstroth hives?

Always wondered that too. Plexiglas might be cool, but I bet it is expensive.
    No one famous.

The photos are not of a full size hive, but note the OP is in the acrylic/plexiglass business.

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...rylic-projects

also

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...y-(front-only)
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

You'd have to consider the greenhouse affect. It would have to be well ventilated or it would get too hot with the sun shining in (like a parked car with the windows up).
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Slow Modem View Post
    You'd have to consider the greenhouse affect. It would have to be well ventilated or it would get too hot with the sun shining in (like a parked car with the windows up).
    Good point!

The second picture is not our Apis mellifera...I don't believe anyway. I believe those bees are Apis dorsata, which most commonly "hive" in the open on one large comb.

The photo on the left is a set of combs that were built while the tree they are on was covered w/ dense foliage. So, they were not in direct sunlight while comb was being built.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

That looks like a pretty great idea and it certainly looks cool when it's new; but I wonder how that will look after a few months of bees in active residence. Even if you design some kind of curtain or cover to keep the light out normally, the bees will still be putting propolis everywhere they normally put propolis in a Langstroth; I don't imagine the result will be all that nice-looking.

Keep in mind as well that plexiglass tends to haze over time...
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

I read the book by Mr. Langstroth about his hives and he talked about doing his hives with a glass box. Not sure if it worked or if this is even what he was talking about but he seemed to think it was a cool idea.

I was just thinking back to how I used to build my own aquariums. A few things that are important to know: use tempered plate glass and seal with 100% silicone. Seems to me, though, that it would be pretty simple to convert an aquarium into a see-through top bar hive. Used aquariums are quite cheap on craigslist ...

We used to have a place here in the midwest called Nickerson farms (they were a chain) had lots of resturaunts based on interstate traffic. they almost all had a large plexiglass observation hive inside. The bees seemed to do fine. (yes they sold honey as well)

> they almost all had a large plexiglass observation hive inside. The bees seemed to do fine.

But it wasn't in the sun... it was inside. I think the heat from the sun is the main issue...

> (yes they sold honey as well)

Delicous varietal honey... like sourwood and orange blossom and tupelo...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Diderot's Encyclopedia of 1660 (I think that's right) has an illustration of a pyramid shaped hive made of glass. It is sitting on a bench, if memory serves me, but I doubt that anyone would have left such a thing out in the direct sunlight w/out a straw cap covering it. As was also done on straw skeps, to shed rain I assume.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston