Default Options for a queenless nuc

This is my first year with bees and I installed a package on May 15. One week later, I installed a nuc. When I installed the nuc, I couldn't find the queen,didn't see any eggs or larva but I'm new and thought I'd give it a week and check closer on the first inspection. Fast forward 1 week and I still didn't see any eggs or larva. Since I'm so new, I contacted a guy with 10 yrs experience to inspect it with me to make sure I wasn't missing something. Sure enough, I'm queenless. I've sent an email to the guy I purchased from but haven't heard back yet. I contacted another guy that raises queens and he's about 18 days away from having a laying queen.
    So..........assuming that I can't get the nuc guy to make it right, what are my options? The package is doing real well and thought about taking a frame of eggs, larva and brood from them and putting it with the nuc and letting them raise a queen but that would take longer than waiting on a laying queen from the "Queen raiser". To make matters worse, I have to leave town for about a week starting this Saturday so if I don't have a plan by then, I'll be another week down the road before I can do anything. Should I try to combine them with my package? What are my best options?

Default Re: Options for a queenless nuc

I think you have 2 good options.

1. Give the nuc a frame of mostly eggs and very youngest larva. Make sure there's eggs on it, this gives the bees some time to decide what to do with them. Taking eggs does not set them back so much as no time or resources have been invested in feeding larva. Sealed brood is not needed, you just need some eggs in that nuc hive so they can make a queen. Shake or brush the bees off it back into their own hive before giving the frame to the nuc hive. The nuc hive should have plenty of bees in it to care for it and you don't want to set the package hive back any by taking away bees as well as the frame with eggs/youngest larva.

2. Combine by laying sheet of newspaper over the nuc hive, and put the package hive on top of that. I find combines work better when the queen right hive is moved and placed on top of the queen-less hive.

Make your choice which to do, and enjoy your trip out of town and check on them upon your return.
    Live life with gusto, having no regrets, being thankful every day, and cherish each moment as it happens.

Thanks for the comment. That's a good point about a frame with eggs and very young larva and no brood needed.
    The good news today is that I heard back from the fellow I bought the nuc from and he is going to give me another nuc, at no charge so I can combine the two. Would you still recommend the newspaper method with the queen right nuc on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Brad M View Post
    Thanks for the comment. That's a good point about a frame with eggs and very young larva and no brood needed.
    The good news today is that I heard back from the fellow I bought the nuc from and he is going to give me another nuc, at no charge so I can combine the two. Would you still recommend the newspaper method with the queen right nuc on top?
    Yes newspaper combine...Don't think it really matters which is on top or bottom.

http://honeybeesuite.com/how-to-comb...ith-newspaper/
    sc-bee