Default How I moved my hive a short distance

They say, move a hive 2 feet or 2 miles. Dunno who "they" are but I understand why that adage is what it is.

To overly paraphrase Michael Bush's take on moving a hive 2 miles - Ain't nobody got time for that! ...And neither do I.

(Here's what Mr. Bush really says about moving a hive a short distance: http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmoving.htm)

Bush's page gave me the confidence I needed to attempt the move and it all worked out great!

Default Re: How I moved my hive a short distance

I think anytime you can move the whole stack at once it is preferable to the box-by-box method: less stress on you and the bees.

At my yard, I just strap 'em up, hook 'em up to a rope hanging from the tractor bucket and drive to the new location. My husband is an expert at setting the stack down so softly they hardly know they've been up in the air.

Here's an old pic:Butter-in-Motion-120k.jpg

I still use Michael Bush's left behind box for a few days afterwards to capture the confused bees. And of course for any more more than a very short hop I use a good whack of reorientation materials all over the entrances of the moved hive until they get the point.

Last summer I helped a friend move his two hives about 90 feet up a hill, carrying each box separately by hand. I staged a point in advance where I could temporarily rest the box while I unkinked my fingers and rested my arms.

I moved three hives about 70 feet this year using Michael Bush's method and had no problems.

I wouldn't put another box in that old spot right away. It prevents the bees from looking for where their hive moved to. If I had a bunch of bees at the old spot I might put out a box at dusk. JMHO
    If you only have a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    Abraham Maslow

Quote Originally Posted by dynemd View Post
    I wouldn't put another box in that old spot right away. It prevents the bees from looking for where their hive moved to. If I had a bunch of bees at the old spot I might put out a box at dusk. JMHO
    In retrospect, you're probably right given it was only 30 feet. Do you think the 4 other hives back there behind the fence would make finding their own more difficult? Ultimately there weren't too many stragglers and 48 hours later the only lost bees seemed to be drones.

The one thing I would do different is wait to put the "left behind box" out. Don't do it until almost dark. That way the returning field bees are more motivated to find the new location.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 42y 40h 39yTF