Default When is it to late Northern bee question

I have a hive that either has laying workers or a queen that didn't get mated. I am in Wisconsin and want to take brood out of a productive hive and requeen the problem hive. I don't want to rick loosing both by doing this to late for them to be ready for winter.

Default Re: When is it to late Northern bee question

I think you will be fine. If you suspect a laying worker give the colony a frame of young larvae / eggs each week for three weeks. This technique works.

Is the population fairly strong or has it dwindled?

It is a good time to start thinking about winter...

Welcome to the forum!
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

I have read that also. at what time during that 3 weeks do you introduce the new queen. I understand that a laying worker hive will often ball and kill a new queen.

With the frame per week technique you allow the colony to raise their own queen. It's risky to introduce a new queen...
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

A new queen can be introduce to expedite things if you wish. However, you must follow procedure. You Must first find the un-bred queen and remove her. then you need to add a frame of brood to the hive until you see queen cells on the frame. This tells you the bees have recognized they are queenless and you do not have a laying worker active. Remove the queen cells and add a caged queen. Be sure to get all cells. The bees will then accept the queen.

Whichever way you choose to go feed the dickens out of the hive as long as they are not backfilling the brood nest. And they should be ready for winter

I will be making strong three frame splits in in July by the middle of the month and feed them syrup and patties til they fill two story divided deeps and they will winter fine. If you get after your queenless hive, you can get them to winter without destroying your donor hives honey production. Let the first frame you donate be mostly eggs and young wet brood and put those bees back in nursing mode. At least that is what I would do if I only had a couple hives. I currently have too many hives so I would just stack it on my weakest viable hive.