Thread: second hive?

Default second hive?

....freshman beekeeper here...making all the mistakes to be made...
    However as I was driving along, dreaming about my bees, a lightbulb went off brilliant over my head. If I got a second hive, could I just transfer 3-4-5 frames of honey covered with bees and let them make their own queen? Its not like I'm doing this for profit: if it sets the new hive back a month making a queen--if it was mid-spring--they'd have time to make honey and brood during the summer?? My present hive is just great--they made up for all my stupid errors and then some....The present queen lays really nice brood pattern--would the new queen, coming from this stock be likely to do the same? And do the workers stick around without a queen and just get to work feeding one of the brood extra royal jelly and making a longer queen cell (or several)? Finally, if I did such, would I need to scout the queen cells so they wouldn't make too many--is that a waste of energy and resource? sorry lots of questions and no local mentor...I'm leaning on you guys...

Default Re: second hive?

Quote Originally Posted by shelly0312 View Post
    ....freshman beekeeper here...making all the mistakes to be made...
    However as I was driving along, dreaming about my bees, a lightbulb went off brilliant over my head. If I got a second hive, could I just transfer 3-4-5 frames of honey covered with bees and let them make their own queen? Its not like I'm doing this for profit: if it sets the new hive back a month making a queen--if it was mid-spring--they'd have time to make honey and brood during the summer?? My present hive is just great--they made up for all my stupid errors and then some....The present queen lays really nice brood pattern--would the new queen, coming from this stock be likely to do the same? And do the workers stick around without a queen and just get to work feeding one of the brood extra royal jelly and making a longer queen cell (or several)? Finally, if I did such, would I need to scout the queen cells so they wouldn't make too many--is that a waste of energy and resource? sorry lots of questions and no local mentor...I'm leaning on you guys...

it's a little more detailed than that but if you split the hive with the correct proportions of resources and correct age brood, you can divide colonies into multiple. It's called a walk away split and it's the simplist way to get more colonies. Now that you have the term, it's time for you to hit google and youtube and learn about walk away splits.

Walk away split is right but maybe its the wrong time of season over there. Get your hive through winter and try this next spring.
    Cheers
    Rob

OK, I've looked up "walk away splits". Looks like this topic will be this winter's reading. Thanks folks!