Last night, right before I came in from the garden, I checked my bees (the temperature had dropped to about 45). I was dismayed to find what I thought was a dead bee, loaded down with pollen, on the landing board. I had never seen a dead bee with a pollen load before and I was thinking maybe others were right; that I had a problem with T-mites. I picked the bee up and put her on top of the outer cover between two bricks with the intention of coming back later to get her, stick her in an envelope and send her to Beltsville for their opinion. Well, I never got out until this morning, and when I picked her up, she moved! I put her on the landing board, she went over to the Boardman feeder which has a small leak and started feeding. She was there for about a half hour and then went into the hive! Suspended animation from the cold?

I've seen something similar to this. I find what I think to be a dead bee outside somewhere in the evening. I usually pick them up and make a closed chamber with my hand and breath on them. After 5 or six blows of warm air the usually "wake up".
    -Scotty<br /><br />Weekly progress of my hive(s) & much more: <a href=\"http://www.total-x.org\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.total-x.org</a>

Mouth to bee resuscitation!
    don<br /><a href=\"http://www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com\" target=\"_blank\">www.spokaneclassifiedsonline.com </a>

About a month and a half ago I was jonesing for some bee activity and decided to visit a feral hive I knew of in the woods. This hive was very busy in the summer and I though it would be nice to watch them during my lunch hour. It was in the 40's and there was snow on the ground. The hive was in a maple about 4 feet off the ground and the entrance was a hole about 4 inches long and 2 inches wide. When I got there I was disappointed to find no activity at all! No bee poop, and only one bee lying on the bottom of the entrance. I could see the comb inside and it was dark brown and had a nice small cell size. The bee was small too. I picked her up and within a minute i saw her antenna move! Then the legs and then she righted herself. The warmth of my hand had revived her! This was great fun and I was disappointed when she finally flew away. I wondered where her family was. I tried to figure out why the hive was gone, Varroa?, Disease? Swarm??? I rummaged through some more detritus and found a couple of really dead bees and they were free of any signs of parasites. They were also small bees. As I was leaving I found my friend in the snow a few feet from the hive. I picked her up again and carried her to my car. There I placed her in a small lidded jar and brought her back to work. They think my cheese slid of my cracker long ago so, barely an eyebrow was raised. I went to the cafeteria and got some honey. I opened the jar and after a few minutes she walked out to the drop of honey I had placed on my finger. She only sipped for a few seconds (probably didn't like the taste of the "fake" honey!) and then began to cruise the office. She disappeared behind the shade and was enjoying the sun. That was the last I saw of her. I guess It was better than a sleep in the snow.

Fat Nancy
    \"Bee Healthy, Eat Your Honey\"

I was eating my lunch in my apiary last week, and two wrestling bees landed on the ground in front of me. One was stinging the other and left it's stinger in as it flew off. Never seeen that before. Do bees often sting each other?

Tia, miracles DO happen...was there someone that looked like a Jewish carpenter nearby?

BubbaBob

Bubba, He's always nearby. Especially for poor schlubs like me that are just flying by the seat of their pants. . .

Good...no...GREAT answer...&lt;g&gt;

BubbaBob