Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

late fall damage question

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
My only hive has wax moth damage in the lower deep. Here, eight frames have brood/honey, one frame is unworked by the bees, two are damaged. I moved the damaged frames closer to the center of the hive. Above, two frames remain unworked by the bees. Hive feels light, with several frames uncapped.
Asters are in full bloom but I started feeding this week and bees are using what I give them. Any suggestions? I'd like to get this hive through winter. Mike

#2 ·
>My only hive has wax moth damage in the lower deep. Here, eight frames have brood/honey, one frame is unworked by the bees, two are damaged. I moved the damaged frames closer to the center of the hive. Above, two frames remain unworked by the bees. Hive feels light, with several frames uncapped.

My guess is the hive has some problems other than the moths. It's too weak to defend against the moths. What you need to know is why. Was the queen not laying? Was it robbed? Was there some kind of brood problem? Any deformed winged bees? I'd be looking to figure out what the problem is. I'd also reduce the space they have to guard. Remove the frames with the moths. If you have room in a freezer somewhere, freeze the moths.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.