Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

lost queens

2K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  tim 
G
#1 ·
This is my fourth year keeping bees. I currently have 10 hives. Several weeks ago, I noticed that one of my hives was queenless and there were laying workers in the hive. I gave them young brood and they successfully raised a new queen. However, four more of my hives are now queenless. Two of them are from packages that I just hived two weeks ago, one is from a primary swarm from one of my own hives, and the last is a three year old hive that had been requeened just last year. What is going on? What is happening to my queens? Please help!! P.S. Two other hives also lost their queens(presumably to swarming) but built queen cell in time and replaced her.

#2 ·
Skulcave:

In regards to your concern about losing queens. I,too,am a new comer to beekeeping and was in that predicament. It turned out that I was over inspecting my hives. Even tho I was very careful when inspecting and reassbleming I still managed to lose queens.

This year after reviewing my records I am performed one Full inspection in the spring to eliminate the chance of losing any queens.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by skulcave:
This is my fourth year keeping bees. I currently have 10 hives. Several weeks ago, I noticed that one of my hives was queenless and there were laying workers in the hive. I gave them young brood and they successfully raised a new queen. However, four more of my hives are now queenless. Two of them are from packages that I just hived two weeks ago, one is from a primary swarm from one of my own hives, and the last is a three year old hive that had been requeened just last year. What is going on? What is happening to my queens? Please help!! P.S. Two other hives also lost their queens(presumably to swarming) but built queen cell in time and replaced her.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.